Chrome Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome Paint

ALright, I know, there's been tons of posts (I Think) about chrome paint and what not at CVN. But I have yet to find an answer that I am happy with.

FOr "painting" trim, body, or anything else chrome... what is good to use?

I know most (if not all) "chrome" spray paint looks like crap... what are other solutions that don't cost two arms and a leg that will give nearly-chrome-like (if not true chrome) finish/ appearance? Are there brush on things that will work? Like Model paint?

I can't really afford to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment/supplies for a small chrome paint job. Maybe there are places that let you rent equipment?

Blah.

Unfortunately, there isnt much you can do...You can get a real nice silver, but that bumper chrome stuff is garbage.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

:-(

Comment

yes, nothin you can buy will even come close to looking like real chrome.
        just silver....
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

:cuss:

Well how do they make plastic or non-metal trim/accessories that LOOK chrome, but aren't? Like the grille on my car... it's shiny, I can see/recognize myself in it...but the finish on it is not chrome. What in the name of Henry Ford is it?

Comment

Looked into this stuff awhile back...

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mir...a_prodinfo.htm

I even ordered their sample kit. This stuff is it. It ain't cheap and its all prep work. Take a look at their product showcase for pics:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mir...mirra_show.htm

They've painted entire vehicles with this stuff... talk about an expensive paintjob! :coocoo:
            Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Comment

Holy crap.

Great find!

Comment

Thats some pretty cool stuff.

http://members.sounddomain.com/sambos86
                My 1979 F-250 Ranger Hi Boy
                33/12.50 BFG Mud Terrians
                390ci with a little bigger cam
                Holly 4 barrel with K&N
                4 Speed with granny gear

Comment

:elephant: Yeah, I've seen that before, as well as a product called "Moto-chrome" ( think that's what it's called).

Looks great... here's my problem:
                  8 Ounces $150
                  1Pint $225
                  1 Quart $350
                  1 Gallon $1,200
                  Oh welllllllll ......

And tom, I see that you have fixed the guest issue, I am now getting forced to log in! Wo hoo! :banana:

Another thing I noticed....are some more emoticons you added...

Some of them are quite disturbing:
                  :sperm: :incest: :leghumpe: :elephant:

However, some of them are quite awesome:
                  :drummer: :damncomputer: :stfu: :cyborg:

Hehehe......

Woops, I hijacked my own thread.

Comment

Now....... THIS doesn't look to be priced quite so bad.......

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sty...n_prodinfo.htm

Pricing:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/sty...ylin_price.htm

Nevada Silver or Titanium Gray. Not quite as reflective as the "chrome" stuff..... but... I guess it could do.

Heyyyy!!!!! This looks pretty good too :

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/str...tretchfilm.htm

Comment

oo me like stretchfilm

That paint is wicked too. If only it came in black...

Comment

I moved this here...its more appropriate..

What do you think, willy?

Comment

I noticed this moved, yes it's more appropriate here, now that the bodywork & Paint forum has sparked into existence.

WHo is willy?

Comment

roadsterstang420, the moderator...

went to auto college with him, and he took the bodywork classes I didnt go back for...

Comment

well tom, I think i'm gonna have to get on the computer a lil more these days. That mirra chrome shit looks awesome. I've never seen it put to use though. the price isnt too bad. most harlequin (chameleon) and some pearl paints have price ranges in that ballpark. and with an hvlp sprayer you can get alot of use outta a pint of paint. seems like you could get some really cool custom graphic effects with a paint like that. I'd check eastwood to see if they have any similar products. I know they have some electroplating kits that are pretty sweet.
                              1988 Ford Mustang coupe: 4cyl conversion, 5spd, 600cfm holley, roller rockers, headers, 2.5\" mac exhaust, alum. driveshaft, HD clutch, poor mans posi, blah blah blah.....

1993 Sable: Ultra Beater

Comment

Working...
                              X