PDA

View Full Version : {CARB SWAP} MSD is in, tuned the carb..

Grand Marquis GT
03-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Ok, I got home today, and my nice shiney new MSD 6AL got here. So not wasting any time, I went and installed it. Very good instructions, and was able to make a pretty nice instalation...

I love it!
http://www.grandmarq.net/images/msd/msd%20001.jpg
Heres a pic of the duraspark module that survived multiple overheating...it ruptured the silicone, and the epoxy started to melt! :hairrais:
http://www.grandmarq.net/images/msd/msd%20002.jpg
Here is the install. This weekend i'm going to install me new plug wires, and my chrome valve covers...and clean up the motor some, and possibly start on the WIRING AUDIT, lol....
http://www.grandmarq.net/images/msd/msd%20003.jpg
Then I spent the rest of the time tuning the carb, to get the optimal setup...I got the thing to idle as smooth as glass, but it still loads up momentarily on any good amount of acceleration.

So my theory is the accelerator pump needs adjustment. im gonna make it so that it doesnt unload all that fuel into the carb UNLESS I FLOOR IT.

But thats all for tommarow. I'm whupped!

GMGT

85crownHPP
03-19-2005, 04:00 AM
:slug: glad the gmgt is almost tip top now

Mercracer
03-19-2005, 10:23 AM
.I got the thing to idle as smooth as glass, but it still loads up momentarily on any good amount of acceleration.

So my theory is the accelerator pump needs adjustment. im gonna make it so that it doesnt unload all that fuel into the carb UNLESS I FLOOR IT.

Glad to see you are making progress!!
Where is your fuel pressure regulator in that picture? Your pressure guage needs to be in between your filter and the carb or you will have no clue how much fuel pressure is feeding the carb.
"Loading up" is making an assumption. Are you referring to stumbling or hesitating?

NATEHAWK
03-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Way to go kepp it up keep it up

Grand Marquis GT
03-19-2005, 01:27 PM
.I got the thing to idle as smooth as glass, but it still loads up momentarily on any good amount of acceleration.

Glad to see you are making progress!!
Where is your fuel pressure regulator in that picture? Your pressure guage needs to be in between your filter and the carb or you will have no clue how much fuel pressure is feeding the carb.
"Loading up" is making an assumption. Are you referring to stumbling or hesitating?

Well Ed, I removed that filter, cause I think its a little bit overkill, lol....

And it seems to hesitate for a second when I punch it, or accelerate a good deal...I'm gonna mess with it today, and let everyone know how it goes.

Im going to remove the rod for the accel pump, taking it out of the circuit, and see what happens, just for an expiriment...

Mercracer
03-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Well Ed, I removed that filter, cause I think its a little bit overkill, lol....
And it seems to hesitate for a second when I punch it, or accelerate a good deal...I'm gonna mess with it today, and let everyone know how it goes.

I am talking about the filter you are using for your return.

Grand Marquis GT
03-19-2005, 02:29 PM
I dont evn use a return anymore.

I ditched that setup and run a low pressure inline pump...

Mercracer
03-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Never mind.........I am getting blind in my old age.......I didn't look close enough at the picture

Lincolnmania
03-19-2005, 03:29 PM
lookin good! get rid of those nasty valve covers

TommyN
03-19-2005, 06:57 PM
The front bowl vent is capped off in the picture, maybe leave it open to the atmosphere.

Hesistation when you give it gas might be a misadjusted accellerator pump circuit.

That is your initial timing at?

Tom

Grand Marquis GT
03-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I capped off the vent. Should I uncap it?

Yeah I think the accelerator pump is what I think is causing my problem...

And my base timing is set at 14 BTDC...

marquisman
03-19-2005, 08:06 PM
my motor is as clean as urs, jus i have to get rid of vac hoses.

85crownHPP
03-20-2005, 02:40 AM
my motor is as clean as urs, jus i have to get rid of vac hoses.

clean? ahahaha!

gadget73
03-20-2005, 10:01 AM
If you disconnect the accel pump totally it will hesitate and possibly pop back thru the carby when you stomp it.

Bildo
03-22-2005, 09:19 PM
You gotta get them wires organized in that engine compartment, be a professional not a slatherass. :asshat:

Grand Marquis GT
03-22-2005, 09:41 PM
i'll give YOU slatherass, bitch!

Bildo
03-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Yeah i hear ya. Ever wonder why Ford is a four letter word? gotta mess with the ford guys!

Paul_
03-22-2005, 11:24 PM
You gotta get them wires organized in that engine compartment, be a professional not a slatherass. :asshat:

what a fucktard. your first post and you're telling somebody to not be a slatherass whatever the fuck that is. you should change your username from bildo to dildo.

btw i'd rather push my ford than drive a chevy :blueflip:

NATEHAWK
03-22-2005, 11:38 PM

what a fucktard. your first post and you're telling somebody to not be a slatherass whatever the fuck that is. you should change your username from bildo to dildo.

btw i'd rather push my ford than drive a chevy :blueflip:

:banana: HAHHAHAH :banana:

Bildo
03-22-2005, 11:52 PM
ahhh chill out, im just hastlin' grand_marquis_gt. u guys gotta lighten up.

Jackup460
03-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Sweet tits man.

Bildo the Dildo, he has priorities man. If you knew what you were speaking of; it's called wire management.

Reminds me of a kid in highschool. Phildo The Dildo.

85crownHPP
03-23-2005, 12:00 AM
you guys are gonna want my underhood cleaning services after you see my fender :D

Bildo
03-23-2005, 12:16 AM
yeah, hes just tryin to get that shit running right before he makes it pretty. i can see im gonna get all kinds of shit from you guys because i made a comment about a ford.

Jackup460
03-23-2005, 12:36 AM
Dude, I'm just fucking around. I have to throw in a comment, I'm bored at work.

Grand Marquis GT
03-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Bildo is an old friend of mine..

he just jests :D

Paul_
03-23-2005, 08:34 AM
i see,

my apologies then

Bildo
03-23-2005, 01:05 PM
no worries