PDA

View Full Version : {Transmission}Tremec 3550, episode 2...

Grand Marquis GT
04-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Well folks, im at the point of no return.....

I just put 500 down on it. thats another 300 left to go, and its mine, all mine!! :banana:

RugerP97DC
04-18-2005, 12:00 AM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :beer: :beer:

TommyN
04-18-2005, 12:22 AM
I run a Tremec in my stang.

If you score a bellhousing from a 79-83 Mustang v8 4spd it should work with the tremec. The one you need is the one for the SROD trans. I bought a new one, but later found one at the wreckers.

Everyone says the stock Tremec shifter is terrible, but I run it and can't really complain. It does not come with a handle though.

The 3550 takes a t5 clutch and yoke.

Is it going behind your 351W or a 302?

Tom

Lincolnmania
04-18-2005, 12:25 AM
:drool:

85crownHPP
04-18-2005, 01:24 AM
i missed somthing!

Grand Marquis GT
04-18-2005, 10:02 AM
I run a Tremec in my stang.

If you score a bellhousing from a 79-83 Mustang v8 4spd it should work with the tremec. The one you need is the one for the SROD trans. I bought a new one, but later found one at the wreckers.

Everyone says the stock Tremec shifter is terrible, but I run it and can't really complain. It does not come with a handle though.

The 3550 takes a t5 clutch and yoke.

Is it going behind your 351W or a 302?

Tom

Well tom, you have answered all of my questions :D

I also hear the length of the trans is the same as a T5, meaning I wont need a new driveshaft!! :banana:

Luckily, others have learned from their mistakes when doing it, so I will be good. :D

Jason91GM
04-18-2005, 07:41 PM
you should go to the junk yard, and pull a 5 speed out of a 4 cylinder Ranger... now thats a tranny that is TOUGH

TommyN
04-19-2005, 12:21 AM
[quote="grand_marquis_gt

I also hear the length of the trans is the same as a T5, meaning I wont need a new driveshaft!! :banana:

Luckily, others have learned from their mistakes when doing it, so I will be good. :D[/quote]

I did not change the driveshaft in my Mustang from the t5 to the tko. Just swapped the yoke that came with the tko onto the old driveshaft. Hopefully your AOD yoke will work with the 3550.

Are you going to run a mechanical clutch linkage like Black & Flames runs? That looked like a better setup than a cable like 4kfe ran. If you don't mind the link to the other board, here is the link to his setup:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB24&Number=861776&page=11&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

www.jdsperformance.com had a good price on a SPEC clutch. The stage I should be pretty good. Supposed to have less pedal effort than a stock stang clutch. I run the stage II, but it is stiffer and I probably could have got the stage I.

Tom