Exhaust Manifold Studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Manifold Studs

i need 4 Exhaust manifold studs and nuts for a 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis with the 5.0 V8. I don't want to buy new manifolds just for the studs. they don't sell them in any auto stores around here. I need them desperately.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Lowes!
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

will they have the correct size. also what would that size be.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I would go to one of the stores and make them look up the part # for you, I couldnt find just the studs on rock auto.... parts stores must be able to get them.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
          I would go to one of the stores and make them look up the part # for you, I couldnt find just the studs on rock auto.... parts stores must be able to get them.

tried they couldn't find any part numbers for them. Not even showing up in there database.

Comment

Lowes can help you then or Mcmaster-Carr They have everything ever.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Take one of the old ones to the hardware store. You can use a regular hex head bolt, and washer in place of the studs.

It'll be a domestic, coarse thread. Probably 3/8-16, but don't quote me on it. Make sure you get the right length. Don't ask me what the correct length is. If you have the old studs/ bolts, you should be able to figure it out.

If you're not replacing them all, then just get grade 5 (3 tick marks on the head).
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

my old one is so stripped they cant even tell the size or anything. Whats the thread length and all. i dont have the old one to match up anymore. Lost it somewhere plus wouldn't have helped.

Comment

Take another one out. There are 4 of the things. Failing that, the size and thread pitch can be determined by the nut.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

but all of them come out stripped and you can barely tell what it is

Comment

I should have one or two complete sets of used studs sitting around, and can probably obtain a third set. IIRC they're 3/8-16 thread. If in doubt, fish a 3/8-16 bolt out of your Magic Bolt Box and verify that it threads into the head. Or I could fish a bolt out of a header and verify that it's 3/8-16. Or I could just send you some of the stuff I have sitting around creating clutter. Either way.

Any particular reason you're sweating over something like this? And who said you have to buy brand-new factory exhaust logs (a patently lousy investment, since used HO manifolds are usually under $50 obtain and ludicrously easy to install) in order to get new bolts/studs?

BTW, there's no reason they need to be studs unless you're intent on retaining things that bolt to the other end. And NC Grade 8 bolts can be had at any hardware store.

And if it hasn't been said already, if you for some reason decide to try Allthread, make sure it's Grade 5 or better, preferably Grade 8, since most Allthread is incredibly soft. You'll probably have to go to Fastenal or McMaster for hardened allthread, though.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

they are 7/16" thread, not sure on the thread pitch
                        i would harvest a pair of lincoln logs (30 bucks at harrys) instead of using ho headers

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                          they are 7/16" thread, not sure on the thread pitch
                          Ah, that does sound right now that you mention it. 7/16-14 or somesuch - though NC (national coarse for the bolt n00bs) is always the default when browsing through your local hardware store's main Grade 8 section.

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                          i would harvest a pair of lincoln logs (30 bucks at harrys) instead of using ho headers
                          I tend to forget about this option, possibly because I've still not actually seen Lincoln Logs in person (the exhaust manifolds, not the cabinbuilding toys). Direct-bolt-on tubular manifolds make reinstallation of cast logs seem even more utterly pointless and otherwise needlessly troublesome.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

im talking bout the studs the come out from the bottom of the manifold to bolt the cats on. Need the exact size.

Comment

sent you a PM
                              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                              X