How do I get to the E-brake connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get to the E-brake connector?

According to the garage, my E-brake connector has a little bit of crap on it that prevents it from grounding when pressed, which prevents my E-brake light from coming on, causing me to fail inspection.

So I have to sand this part:

Is there a way to get to it without removing my kick panel? I can see it about 5 or 6 inches away through about a 2 or 3 inch gap between the kick panel and the A-column. It seems to be secured with a single screw and connected to the wiring harness
    2002 Crown Victoria LX - 124K miles

I had to do the same to mine, lol... I don't remember removing the kick panel, but if you do, its just a couple screws and a big plastic push-in. Its cramped but relatively easy
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I just worked with it for a whole hour digging into my arm while sitting in an awkward stance having a flashlight in my left hand and my trusty 1/4" socket wrench in my right. Finally got it working consistently. Hopefully nothing goes out of wack again.

I sanded the tip of the main contact, the plugs that connects to the car's connector, the connector itself, and the part where the screw contacts the the metal on the plate. Wasn't sure how exactly the thing was supposed to make a ground, which would've helped to know, but I think it was mostly through the screw.

Took me about 50 minutes in before I realized there was a hole for the plastic to be guided into to show exactly where it was supposed to sit.

Now that's 4 things out of the way to pass inspection, 2 things left: the serpentine belt to arrive and be installed, and the tint checked at a DMV. I just wish I could fast forward my week that includes two 7 hour college days(including speech) with no breaks and get to the part where I get the belt in the mail.
      2002 Crown Victoria LX - 124K miles

Comment

Working...
      X