Hi There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi There

Hi everyone, I own a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis. I love my car to pieces.

I've had it for over 2 years now and it runs great...I was hoping to get a couple maintenance pointers though and stuff since it's like me (i.e. eccentric) and I'm not exactly great with cars.

In case anyone cares, here's a list of malfunctions I've had with my car:

- total brake failure due to worn caliper (hey, I got the car like that, it's not my fault!); no accidents or anything thankfully
    - alternator died (hey why is this red battery light with "AMP" flickering on and off? Is that ba-ENGINE FAILS-well crapola!!)
    - water pump failed (why is there a green waterfall coming from my rad?)
    - battery died 3 days after replacing water pump (why won't it crank anymore?)
    - fuel line corroded and leaked gasoline for like 2 days (my girlfriend refused to ride with me because of the smell)

I love my car.

to GMN, and welcome to the joys of owning a Ford

j/k yall
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

welcome to gmn!
        these failures unfortunately happen, but 20 yrs is a darn good life......my 70's cars were rotted away in the late 80's.....take care of your panther and it will take care of you!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Welcome aboard! As we all say: "post some pics"
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I would but I don't have webhosting space at the moment.

Comment

use our attachments feature

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Here are them.
                Attached Files

Comment

very nice!

Comment

It will love you back for sticking with it!!
                    Most of these are repairs you wont have to worry about again for a long time... you will find plenty of info here to help you look for and fix any problems.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Now apparently the exhaust pipe has snapped off at the Y-weld or something. Lovely.

Anyone know how simple this is to fix up?

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        It will love you back for sticking with it!!
                        Most of these are repairs you wont have to worry about again for a long time... you will find plenty of info here to help you look for and fix any problems.
                        Well as I just posted I need to get that dang exhaust fixed up. Not exactly cruicial but I don't like having a dangling tailpipe.

Also I was told once my gearbox was leaking oil or something...

Comment

Welcome,

sounds like your car needs a vacation at Scott's car spa....
                          2000 Grand Marquis LS
                          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                          Mercury Owners Group member
                          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

That's a nice car mang! The exhaust is probably all shot I bet, that is unless you changed stuff on it. I would go put dual exhaust on it if you felt like it, or you could just get another y pipe, and possibly a muffler and tailpipe since they're probably rotten too. That wrapped steering wheel isn't looking well either. What features does your car have? I see you have the ATC.

Comment

welcome to gmn mang where in ontario do you live? In the toronto area ?
                              some of my family live in mississagua

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                              X