89 Town Car Electronic Cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 Town Car Electronic Cluster

First off, howdy! Hope I can find some help with a few items.
    Can't post any new threads elsewhere.

89 Town Car. Almost totally stock except tires and brakes. 5.0L SEFI.

I've had this car in my back yard for a couple of years. Husband bought it from TX. Then some idiot drove into it and flattened the door panel a little bit, and it sat. Now she's mine. Let's get her Back In The Saddle!

Old lady owned it. 85,000 miles. Almost everything works.

The instrument cluster (electronic) has one window out, the Message Center doesn't illuminate, and the warning chimes (all..keys, door open, etc.) are practically inaudible.
    Is there something I can look for besides replacing the whole cluster? It was working, but hubby played musical batteries to move the car around from time to time & I don't know if that did something.
    Speedometer and fuel gauge work fine.

Any suggestions to a GOOD website for wiring diagrams or tech tips?

Needs and exhaust system too. I don't really want to shell out over $600.00 for a stock replacement. Rather have her growl a little bit with some Flowmasters or something.

Anybody have any suggestions for the dual exhaust?

Welcome to the site...we would like to see the pics of your car.
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and request for pics.

I'd be happy to.

I'll have to wait til tomorrow when the sun's up. Already dark here.

Except for the minor flattening of the passenger door and some seriously faded paint, she's pretty.

Definitely could use a little TLC on the body, but she's from TX so I have a rock solid canvas.

Comment

first off....

just out of curiosity, where did you get the quote on the 600 bucks for a complete stock exhaust replacement. It shouldnt even cost that much to replace the manifolds, catalatyic converters, all the piping and the muffler (more like 5 lol) How much of the exhaust system is in tack? If you are looking for sound, get a mustang catless h-pipe, and run 2.25 exhaust all the way back, through dynomax super-turbo mufflers. If cats are a must throw on a couple High flow cats with the same mufflers. 1987cp has the high flows with the super turbos, granted he has a vic, but its still the same concept.

PS Flowmasters are really overpriced, especially since you can get magnaflows for 10 bucks cheaper and they have a lifetime warranty, where as flowmasters might only last 2-3 years.
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

If the message center doesn't to anything at all, its probably toast. I have a couple digi clusters for sale... I could pull the message center out if thats all you want.

An exhaust shop should be able to install (either OE replacement or custom bent) 'H' and tail pipes with mufflers of choice for 2-300 easily. Prices vary a lot so shop around.... plus a guarantee goes a long way. Ive seen a lot of "new" exhaust systems rust out in 3-4 years... cheap pipe will flash rust in just a few months.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Looks like someone else got your user status fixed up. You should be able to post elsewhere now.

Did you check the fuses? I believe there is one dedicated to message center functions. If its not that, it could be the display, or the brain under the dash thats given up. Unfortunately I'm not well versed on diagnostics on that thing, but I know the Ford factory manuals have a big section on troubleshooting it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Some pix and some thanx!

Just some idiot chain muffler shop. I cruised in cuz I was there. Curiousity I guess. Damned near fell out with the sticker shock. I know I can do way better elsewhere. I like to hear what y'all are runnin' cuz I'm not intending to do a stock replacement. Don't wanna bother with junk either. So all the input is cool. Trying to attach pics here and I'm having just a bit of difficulty.....let's see if it worked. Note the little "ding" (ahem) in the passenger door. Didn't seem to affect any of the mechanics of the door, but it looks like ........
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BackInTheSaddle; 11-24-2009, 07:44 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the dent

Comment

At least the hard to find door looks intact. Most of the cars I see in the yard have smashed passenger rear door.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what is this "ding" ding you speak of? I dont see a thing lol j/k nice ride
                  Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                  New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Welcome to GMN.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

welcome to gmn where in mi are you from?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Welcome
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks darn good.
                          For the cluster issues, start with checking all the wiring and grounds. The fact your chimes are quiet seems to point to a grounding issue as well, which may bring everything back to life once you find the suspect ground.
                          (underdash ground, ground from body to frame, ground from frame to battery. If any are loose or corroded they'll cause you grief).

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                          X