Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Finland - and a happy new year 2011!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Finland - and a happy new year 2011!

Happy new year 2011 to everyone on the forum! A newbie calling from southeast Finland, i live in a town named Kotka (Eagle town). Iīve had a couple MoPar:s and a one GM STW before, but now I own my very first US-Ford, a 1983 LTD Country Squire.

Sorry, ainīt got no photos yet, but I will sure post or link īem when I have a camera. This LTD of mine is made in Canada and exported from Florida to Finland 1989. In 1980īs, Finland had a very strange car tax system. One of itīs curiosities was, that car which had enough trunk space(=STW), could be registered as a van - this lowered the tax which is paid every year. The only bad thing was, that the original back seat had to be removed. You could had a backseat that would look like an original but it had to be removable due to this lower tax.

My LTD is sleeping over the winter - southern Finland has been covered by snow since november. Snow thickness is now 16-28 inches (40-70 cm). Thanks to low temperatures, roads are not salted. My winter car is Lada VAZ 21073 - made in Russia. Pretty rare in USA, I guess. And actually pretty rare in Finland nowadays too, when all of them are exported back to Russia.

Iīve had only driven the LTD from the previous ownerīs place to my place yet, 250 mls about, since we made the deal at october and i stored the LTD for winter almost immediately. The AOD has some strange behaviour when it shifts to OD:

- When pressing the gas pedal constantly, the shifting to OD seems to slide.

-When releasing the gas pedal during shift to OD, AOD shifts normally.

This happens only when the tranny shifts to OD. Lower gears shift normally up and dn.

First thing would be adjusting the TV-cable? Got any other clues?

Another thing to annoy yet is the paintjob. It is a somekind of tradition in Finland, that US-cars that are not in showroom condition - and/or are owned by young people, are painted matt black - to be more "rock īn roll", I guess...

Well, I have a long winter ahead and these things are something to do during springtime.

Thx for reading and sorry for lingual mistakes, have learned english 10 yrs, but because donīt use the language daily or even weekly itīs a bit rusty.

Welcome man. Enjoy your wagon when the weather gets nicer.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

jak sie masz!

Comment

Welcome!

You know, my oldest friend is from Helsinki, and we have written each other since both of us were teenagers in 1961.

Finally in 2001 I flew to Helsinki with my wife and met him and his wife for the first time, and we went on vacation with them all over Finland. They live in a town north of Helsinki called Hyvinkaa.

We took the Finnish sauna bath of course and went swimming right after - in the cold lake.
        It is a beautiful land, and the people have the famous "Sisu" (hard to explain in English) and we liked them.

It is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever seen and the people strong and courageous, especially against the communist Russians that stole 10% of their land in the winter "continuation wars" of 1939 and 1944. Viipuri, East Karelia and the land around Petsamo and Murmansk were taken for the nickel mines the Russians wanted, it was so horrible.

I would love to go back again. Of course in July and August, to visit Lapland also.

Also the tax scheme you mentoned is much the same in Norway to get the cheaper license plates. I saw it in Norway, also, where they are the green number plates, not the white ones.

Finland's famous film maker Aki Kaurismaki LOVES the big American cars from he 1960s, 1979s and 1980s.

Have you seen "Ariel", "Drifting Clouds", "Match Factory Girl" , "Leningrad Cowboys Go America" and some of his other films?
        Many of them are seen in his films..

I used to own a 1982 Ford Crown Victoria and I never had trouble with it.

I hope YOU will never have trouble with your 1983 Country Squire. They are very good cars. But VERY rare in Finland. I never saw even one over there.

But I am glad you have one there.

Welcome to the forum!!

(Your English is very good)
        Last edited by EHJ710; 12-31-2010, 09:32 AM.
        sigpic2009 Grand Marquis LS "Ultimate Edition" Toreador Red Metallic, 40% tint, CVPI type dual exhaust, Marauder front and rear sways, 29k (traded in, to dealer, 4/3/11)

1987 Colony Park LS. 190k, (given to friend/mechanic 2/24/12)

2011 Subaru Outback, 19k; 1991 Mercedes 560SEC AMG, 186k; 1995 Mercedes E420, 145k

Comment

Thx for reading and sorry for lingual mistakes (its cool, you are practically mexican!) , have learned english 10 yrs, ( i know it 28 year)

Comment

just dont whistle when trying to get someones attention...

Comment

Sounds like the OD is going out on the transmission, this is typical. As long as the other gears hold well, it may survive fine with no OD.
              DON'T mess with the TV pressure if you don't know what you are doing... you could easily trash the rest of the gears.
              Check the grommet on the throttle body lever where the TV cable hooks up, if that is broken or loose, replace it.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Welcome! We have a couple people from europe on here but I believe you are our first Norwegian member.

I hope you enjoy the site and we'd all love to see some pictures when you have a chance.

Your english isn't perfect but it's easily understood.

Could you explain a bit more about the behaviour in OD? It sounds like you are saying that it goes into Overdrive (as in 4th gear) at full throttle. With proper TV cable adjustment, you will not go into 4th gear with the pedal to the floor. If it is doing this, I would not drive it until you or someone else with a good understanding of the system has adjusted it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

welcome. sounds like the trans is slipping while going into OD(4TH). check the TV linkage at both ends. then go from there.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

[QUOTE]Finland's famous film maker Aki Kaurismaki LOVES the big American cars from he 1960s, 1979s and 1980s.

Have you seen "Ariel", "Drifting Clouds", "Match Factory Girl" , "Leningrad Cowboys Go America" and some of his other films?
                    Many of them are seen in his films..[QUOTE]

Actually, my family used to live 2 mls away from an old ranch, where mr Kaurismäki used to store his American cars - in a small town named Karkkila, located 50 mls NW from Helsinki. And yes, Iīve seen most of his films. Very few people here who have American car, drive it daily (unless itīs a newer one like Voyager etc.) but in summertime you can easily see dozens of classic USA cars daily. But I know couple of guys, that drive daily with their cars - for example one co-worker of mine has a ī77 Aspen as a winter car and a ī62 Fury as a summer ride.

Thank you for your posts guys!

Cant quote correctly - damn Iīm stupid.
                    Last edited by Juhana N; 01-01-2011, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Finn? Phooey, my Swedish relatives' ethnic jokes are always on Norwegians.

Always interesting to see foreigners speaking better English than any number of Americans.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

welcome!

we love pictures around here *hint hint*
                        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                        1994 MGM GS Montigua
                        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Welcome. That must be a blast to tool around Finland in. Is it at least 50% wider than anything else on the road?
                          sigpic
                          2009 GM, 45,000 miles
                          ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

That reminds me, whatever became of that German kid with the huge sub in the cargo well? I've seen pics from Hamburg that make a Saab look big.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

whut y'alls tokin abot... sum 'mercins ain't speekin rite? :p

welcome to the insanity

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X