Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in Ford's arms

Hello there,
    Just bought an '04 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate to replace a Pontiac G8 GT that I'm selling because I don't feel like paying for it anymore. Done with big monthly car notes. Got the Mercury for $6700 and found this site to check on things and do my research. Car seems in good shape, but needs new rear shocks and the rack is beginning to leak. 110,000 miles. Any other things I should look out for? I'll post pics soon.

I owned an '05 Stang GT before I got the Pontiac but got the Pontiac cuz my kid came along (convinced myself I needed 4 doors). Should've kept the Stang. Pontiacs been good but didn't need the extra expense-and the 2 speeding tickets that came with it. So now I'm favoring some cushion for the pushin in my car.
    2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate
    2008 Mustang GT with some toys on it

Welcome to the party
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

for the most part... just wear items like bushings and suspension stuffs. the 04+ is pretty bulletproof. Definitely want to make sure all the fluids are fresh. The only thing of concern is the plastic section of the intake. Sometimes they crack and cause vacuum leaks (the coolant crossover should be metal and not have that issue). It's not something that will happen though. Just something to look for if it starts to idle/run stupid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the warning signs, I'll definitely keep an eye out for the intake. Ordered some KYB shocks for the rear, I'll be putting those on when they arrive. It's amazing what car detailers miss though. I should be one, because the dealership ones suck. When I did my usual thorough car cleaning I found a pair of sunglasses, a sheet of paper with directions, a Wisconsin Dells card, a bottle of lotion...

Comment

Didn't they "revert" back to the full metal intake after '01? I thought the issues were between '96/97 and '01

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
              Didn't they "revert" back to the full metal intake after '01? I thought the issues were between '96/97 and '01
              not that I know of. I only know of the coolant crossover being metal... the rest was still plastic.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Funky, I've not infrequently contemplated replacing my Fords with a G8! But my Fords are almost-ancient and cheap enough that I can whine about $20 for wheel cylinders or $15 for a master cylinder or water pump.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yeah the G8 is nice and I haven't had any major problems with it, but there's something to be said for a cheaper car. The payments are just getting too much combined with gas and everything else.

Comment

+ infinity - no car payments

Comment

Originally posted by Vankor View Post
                      Hello there,
                      Just bought an '04 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate to replace a Pontiac G8 GT that I'm selling because I don't feel like paying for it anymore. Done with big monthly car notes. Got the Mercury for $6700 and found this site to check on things and do my research. Car seems in good shape, but needs new rear shocks and the rack is beginning to leak. 110,000 miles. Any other things I should look out for? I'll post pics soon.

I owned an '05 Stang GT before I got the Pontiac but got the Pontiac cuz my kid came along (convinced myself I needed 4 doors). Should've kept the Stang. Pontiacs been good but didn't need the extra expense-and the 2 speeding tickets that came with it. So now I'm favoring some cushion for the pushin in my car.
                      HA, I had a 2009 G8 GT for a short time last year. great car, but very expensive to own and maintain. like you, I got too many speeding tickets in that thing.

2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                        HA, I had a 2009 G8 GT for a short time last year. great car, but very expensive to own and maintain. like you, I got too many speeding tickets in that thing.

Expensive to maintain? How so?

Comment

mine was a V8 model (6.0L gas engine), it got 19 mpg on the highway, and it required 9 qts of oil for an oil change. GM recommended Mobil 1 synthetic, but it was not required. Insurance was higher and it had an odd ball 18" tires on it that were expensive to replace.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Well, of course it was a V8.

19mpg sounds pretty good to me! I can see where the other things would get annoying, though. And 19 is way down from the alleged 31mpg a stick-shift GTO could manage even without the variable displacement complicatedness.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                              Well, of course it was a V8.

19mpg sounds pretty good to me! I can see where the other things would get annoying, though. And 19 is way down from the alleged 31mpg a stick-shift GTO could manage even without the variable displacement complicatedness.
                              19 mpg not so good for me... considering the G8 had a modern 6sp auto and variable displacement. Conversely, my wife's 2010 Dodge Charger with a 5spd auto regularly gets 25-26 mpg. even my 7500 lb 4wd diesel truck gets 21mpg.

Comment

Working...
                              X