Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howyadoin! New owner of a '94 GS Park Lane...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howyadoin! New owner of a '94 GS Park Lane...

Howyadoin,

Just drove her home tonight! She's in Tucson Bronze with 172K, I'm just the 2nd owner. I was driving a Corolla (not by choice, I assure you) before this, but my previous 3 cars were an '80 Coupe deVille and a couple of '90s Sevilles, so I like 'em big. My commute destroyed the Corolla, and I wanted something rugged enough to withstand Boston roads. Oddly, I've owned a bunch of cars over the years, everything from a gagnormous 1970 Pontiac Bonneville sedan/aircraft carrier to an MG Midget, but this is my first Ford product. The Panther platform's reputation precedes it, so I hope to follow in the footsteps.

The original owner maintained this car quite well, and kept good records. I've never seen oil this clean that wasn't still in the bottle! Some of the other fluids (brake fluid in particular is syrup brown) need to be replaced, but there's time enough for that. Starts, steers, stops like a big 'ol girl. The original owner recently passed away, so I was dealing with his neighbor who was acting on behalf of the widow. The original owner was in a wheelchair, so he installed a Bruno Scooter Lift Jr. in the trunk. I'll be looking to sell that pretty soon.

The engine starts and idles very smoothly. The temp indicator doesn't go to the midpoint of the gauge, it sits at about 35% - is this normal? I've checked the windows, they all work (that seems to be a frequent complaint), the transmission shifts nicely, there's no overdrive shudder. The check engine light comes on after about 10-15 minutes and there does seem to be a bit of a whistling sound on acceleration and a bit of knock going up hills on the highway (low RPM in overdrive) perhaps. That makes me wonder if maybe there's a bit of intake gasket leakage? I'll have my mechanic read the code and see what it's complaining about. Thankfully, there's no CEL or emissions testing in MA for inspection for a '94, it's safety only, which is no problem.

Funny story... I was driving home and realized that when I was doing the once-over the day before, I hadn't fully closed the hood. So I stopped and closed it properly. I get back in the car and there is a red LED on the dash that is now lit. I shut the car off, it's still lit. I restart the car, it's still lit. I'm all bummed out thinking that in some bizarre fashion I broke something closing the stupid hood and the LED is some aftermarket dire warning light, or that the scooter lift has somehow been activated and is now beating the hell out of the trunk lid. I get the car home and tear apart the documentation that came with the car trying to figure out what the heck this LED is. Finally, I realize it's an indicator for the DEI alarm/door lock/trunk release system that the dealer installed when the car was purchased, and that it's telling me that I somehow bypassed the alarm system...

So anyway, it's a pleasure to be here, I'll post some pics tomorrow...

-Mark P.
    Salem, MA
    Mark P.
    Salem, MA

"The Bronze Bomber" - 1994 Grand Marquis GS, 174K

Welcome aboard!

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Howdy! 'Aircraft carrier' lol. Did you have the Midget in the truck, as a spare?

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
        Howdy! 'Aircraft carrier' lol. Did you have the Midget in the truck, as a spare?

Pete
        No, I wouldn't want to stain the Pontiac's carpet with all the fluids the MG leaked. After it rained it was like a rainbow watercolor on the pavement...

Speaking of leaking fluids... I was greeted this morning by the "BRAKE" light on the way to my mechanic. Master cylinder was empty. Rear brake lines are blown.

The good news is that other than that and an EGR code that sets intermittently, all else is in good nick.
        Mark P.
        Salem, MA

Comment

Welcome to the party! Clogged EGR passages may cause sluggish performance at times.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Here's a quick pic... I'll do more once I've had a chance to do the full beauty treatment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bronze_bomber1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1270522
            Mark P.
            Salem, MA

Comment

Welcome. Cool color ya got there.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome! Having a friendly, informative forum of fellow owners makes ownership of any car better IMHO. I'm a longtime member of an excellent Cadillac forum which helped me tremendously with my Sevilles and Coupe deVille. As for the "Corolla Forum"? God, what a bunch of whiny <EXPLETIVE>...

Back on topic...Just a quick note - I was driving home tonight through massively snarled traffic, in every imaginable state of winter precipitation. I was so cozy in the Comfy Couch that it didn't even faze me. I love this car! It converts time into distance with a minimum of hassle or discomfort.

Oddly, I appreciate the fact that it's a GS, not laden with special effects or techno-gimcrackery for which I'm the guinea pig. It reminds me of my '80 Coupe deVille that I loved dearly but which rotted to oblivion. No heated seats or mirrors, no electronic suspension, no high-compression DOHC 32-valve engine with a thirst for 93 octane and a hunger for head gaskets. My Grand Marquis is a good, honest, body-on-frame American sedan with a decent V8 and less crap to break. Thoroughly debugged over the decades, too.

So that's my ...
                  Mark P.
                  Salem, MA

Comment

My Dad had a '93 (Mocha Frost) until an idiot t-boned it. Glad you are enjoying it....Bobby

P.S. Too bad I didn't know you at the time...could have had you "burn the bitch" - you being from Salem and all....LOL!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X