New here but not to panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here but not to panthers

I recently started looking for a box panther so I figured I'd come check this place out.
    I've seen quite a few well priced boxes up here in the NY area but I need to know what to look out for.
    I know there can be issues with rust but it's the other stuff that I may need help identifying.
    What are the common issues with the 5.0, trans, suspension and electrical systems in these cars?
    Thanks guys!
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Other than body rust, check for frame rust where the ac drips. Somewhere up near the front. Also check for a brass tv bushing because most anything with a nylon bushing has either needed rebuilt or will need to be rebuilt.

If you go 85 and later till 82 I think, watch out for CFI unless you don't mind having no power or swapping out for a carb or SEFI. Also these cars have a nylon timing chain which is junk and will need replaced.

If you plan on building up the engine, 88 and up are roller blocks which have more possibilities on cam and other upgrades.

Try to avoid cracked looking vinyl tops, because rust is probably going to be underneath the vinyl. Also if you're looking at a town car I think some box tc's have air ride worth checking out. Not sure though.

I'm sure others will chime in, but other than this stuff just check fluids, transmission shifts, leaks, smoke, etc.

Good luck, boxes are awesome cars!
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

If I get a box, it will be a long term build hopefully. I have seen some 5.0's around that I could build in the garage and swap in when done.
      It seems that most of the cars I've seen have the vinyl top, I've seen what happens when those go bad so I'll take a good look at any of those.

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Welcome to GMN
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome to the site!

If I were looking for a box as a project I would want an 89 wagon, but that's just my preference.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome!

Originally posted by fmansfield444 View Post
              Other than body rust, check for frame rust where the ac drips. Somewhere up near the front. Also check for a brass tv bushing because most anything with a nylon bushing has either needed rebuilt or will need to be rebuilt.

If you go 85 and later till 82 I think, watch out for CFI unless you don't mind having no power or swapping out for a carb or SEFI. Also these cars have a nylon timing chain which is junk and will need replaced.

If you plan on building up the engine, 88 and up are roller blocks which have more possibilities on cam and other upgrades.

Try to avoid cracked looking vinyl tops, because rust is probably going to be underneath the vinyl. Also if you're looking at a town car I think some box tc's have air ride worth checking out. Not sure though.

I'm sure others will chime in, but other than this stuff just check fluids, transmission shifts, leaks, smoke, etc.

Good luck, boxes are awesome cars!
              What he said ^

'93 T-bird
              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
              '88 Mark VII
              '86 CV

Comment

Welcome! Hope you find a good one!
                Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

I have a question.
                  Where is a good place to get an antenna motor? I went to check out an '89 today and the only issue was the antenna motor doesn't work.

Comment

Wrecking yard, Ebay, Rockauto

Comment

Working...
                    X