Hello all! n00b here, with a '92 GM-GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all! n00b here, with a '92 GM-GS

Hi! Just signed up on the forum here. A little over a month ago, I had a 1992 Grand Marquis-GS "handed down" to me...it's been in the (extended) family since it was new, I remember it as a kid when my elderly aunt and uncle drove it from their winter home in Florida and back to our neighborhood in PA every year. So yeah, it was driven gently until they got too old (about 5 years ago), at which point they gave it to my dad, who let my little brother use it for a year or so, then it sat for a year or so, and now it's mine. Long story, I know. Anyway, I've been loving it! The ride is great, it's roomy, that V8 purrs...basically, what I'm saying is that I get "it" now. Everything's not perfect though...only one window goes down (drivers', thankfully), the A/C pump died on me right after I started driving it (bypass pulley installed, too poor for a new compressor), power antenna is broken, dash doesn't light up, one door doesn't open from the outside, it smells like it's running pretty rich, the front quarter panel has a rusted-out bottom corner, the wheels are dinged up, and the paint is getting a little long in the tooth. Despite that all, I feel like it's worth it to try to bring it back to stock (or better!) condition instead of just trading it off and paying on a newer car...especially since I was essentially just given it for free (the only thing I've ever gotten for free, I assure you). So I guess my purpose for this post is to introduce myself, admit that I know nothing about working on cars, and see how you all feel about the '92 model year...any issues I should look out for, or known quirks, or simple fixes/hacks, etc. I'd also like to do (well, have done) a few minor upgrades in the future, from browsing around here a bit it seems like the first step is to get a dual exhaust installed and maybe ratchet up the gear ratio. I'd love it if this thing lasted me for a good couple of years, so any advice on how to get the most out of it would be appreciated as well. So yeah, glad to find this site and looking forward to riding my Great White for as long as I can! (Oh by the way, I'm not racist, but instead of a whale I prefer to think of my ride as a shark..."Bruce," if you've seen Finding Nemo. Sorry, I have a 3 year old daughter....)
    1992 MGM-GS "Great White"

Welcome!

You generally can't go wrong with dual exhaust. Changing rear end/gear ratio really depends on what you want the car to do and how well your current gear ratio accomplishes what you want.
    Enjoy the new (to you) ride.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks!

And from what little I understand about it, a higher gear ratio will allow for quicker starts? I don't care much about speed (rather, longevity and gas mileage), but if I can help the off-the-line acceleration, that would be nice.

Comment

Welcome! Nice introduction. Yes, there are a few issues and if you search the forums you'll get a lot of good repair advice. Watch the spark plugs and wires on these early 4.6 models. Also I have known a few folks with head gasket failures. This engine is expensive to rebuild and it takes a "real mechanic/engine builder" to refresh one. The earlier "boxes" had 5.0/5.8 engines which production ran much longer have more HP parts available for them. The 4.6 has good power and fuel economy and is a smooth package. The best thing is you got yours for the best of all prices (free). Welcome again!

Comment

Welcome! Check the frame rails for holes. Spending big money on a car with a bad frame will only lead to tears.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Thanks all!
            And I have thought of replacing the spark plugs and wires, the battery cables, hoses and clamps, seals...stuff like that. Should be cheap and help extend the engine life, correct? One of these days I'll clean up the engine and then it should be easier for me to see what looks bad...still trying to learn what everything in there is though. I guess I didn't mention it in my intro, but this is actually my first car, so I'm a n00b in a lot of ways. I watch a lot of Top Gear though so that should make up for it, right? Anyway. So, frame rails...I'll try to check those. And from reading around it sounds like this model year might need new oil seals and stuff, I haven't noticed any smoke or anything, just smells a tiny bit in the cabin. I do plan on going through the repair receipts (there must be 200 of them, my great-aunt and -uncle were meticulous about upkeep until they got too old) to see what's been replaced and when, so hopefully in a few days I'll know a lot more about Brucie.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and the advice!

Comment

Try to pick up a Haynes or Chilton's manual on your Panther. Often times your local library will have "Motors" manuals you can check out. I find it helpful to have a picture! You may also be able to find a suitable manual from a yard sale or estate sale.

Comment

Unfortunately I found Haynes/ Chilton's to be opaque. When I was a complete noob myself, I was trying to do shocks, and the darn manual just showed a grainy b&w thumbnail of a nut! Didn't help me a damn. I didn't know where shocks were even located, can you believe that?
                I would look for the full ford guide. At least for my box, the manual was $20 on ebay, 2.5" thick of GOOD drawings.

What can help a million is a local community college course?
                I paid $400 for an engine rebuilding class, and we got to yank out and rebuild our engines in their shop! Lots of fun/ learned a great deal/ got to use their tools. We did valve grinds, valve seals, piston rings, and of course every other kind of seal associated with the engine.

A lot of those seals, you do when you rebuild an engine.
                I don't know about the 4.6, but for the 5.0 only the valve covers are easy to get to without digging in very far.
                Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 10-20-2013, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X