Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Upstate NY

Good evening all!

This is the first forum I've joined in quite some time, and first since I bought my '91 Grand Marquis in June 2012. I wanted to join here, to kinda see what other owner/enthusiasts have done with their cars, maybe get some good ideas for mine, and just sorta see what's out there. Can't wait to get some feedback, any good, common suggestions?

A short description of my ride:

1991 Grand Marquis GS
    37,000 original miles (although previous NY winters would convince you otherwise, interior is great though)
    Pretty much bone stock, except for the rust, and about 2 days worth of body work I've done to it. (sanding, bondo to remove some of the previously mentioned rust.)

Welcome! there are several prominent members from upstate NY(and surrounding area) here.

What are you looking to get out of your vehicle? We've got people who have made it quick in a straight line, an autocross sleeper, a good all around hoonmobile, and even the best long-distance Sheep Dog transporter in the world (no seriously). You've come to the right place.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Welcome! Is it snowing there now?
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
        Welcome! Is it snowing there now?
        Right now? No, but most of the day Saturday and Saturday night it did...by Sunday morning it dropped about 8 inches where I'm at.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
          Welcome! there are several prominent members from upstate NY(and surrounding area) here.

What are you looking to get out of your vehicle? We've got people who have made it quick in a straight line, an autocross sleeper, a good all around hoonmobile, and even the best long-distance Sheep Dog transporter in the world (no seriously). You've come to the right place.
          Well, right now it's my daily driver. I'm very happy with it, hasn't let me down yet! Besides routine maintenance, I haven't had to put any money into yet for repairs. As for what I would like to do with her, I would like to get the body work done, and get her cosmetically sound. At some point I would like to start doing some performance modifications to it, but that wouldn't be until next summer most likely, due to my wedding next June, haha. (AKA no extra money until after).

If anyone knows of any relatively inexpensive mods/benefits that can be done, I'm all ears! Once winter is over, I plan on going through and doing the cap, wires, plugs etc. It does run pretty well though, I can't complain...every time I turn the key, she fires right up...even in the single digits.

And thanks for the warm welcome!

Comment

Hola!!
            Welcome to the Party!!
            Where abouts WNY are you?

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
              Hola!!
              Welcome to the Party!!
              Where abouts WNY are you?

-ryan s.
              About 10 minutes away from Binghamton, which is about 15 minutes north of the PA border.

Comment

Welcome! Post up some pics of the car if you can!
                sigpic
                1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
                1981 Chevrolet Corvette
                1987 Pontiac Trans Am
                1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
                2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by 90MarquisLS View Post
                  Welcome! Post up some pics of the car if you can!
                  I will certainly do so! She honestly isn't too much to look at on the outside right now...I'd almost feel embarrassed posting pics, as just about every other car I've seen on here is in great shape with almost no rust! But, I will get some up when I can.
                  Like I say, she's about as stock as you can get, so nothing out of the ordinary, besides maybe the classy "AAA" sticker on the lip of the trunk door.

Comment

Post what you can anyway. You would be shocked as to how some of the cars here "started" and through great efforts how they presently look!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I thought you said WNY. Sorry.
                      Binghamton is still a good 3 hours away from Niagara Falls.
                      But hey, you're closer to where we have our national meet!

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                        I thought you said WNY. Sorry.
                        Binghamton is still a good 3 hours away from Niagara Falls.
                        But hey, you're closer to where we have our national meet!

-ryan s.
                        When I hear upstate N.Y. I always think WNY.

Welcome! Even if its rusty we'd still love to see pics. The body on mine is pretty good but around the gas and brake lines are rusted and the trunk floor is gone in some spots.

'93 T-bird
                        '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                        '88 Mark VII
                        '86 CV

Comment

Welcome!

A couple of inexpensive mods that can be done to improve the electrical system would be upgrading the alternator from the stock 2nd Generation (2G) to a 3G, and making/buying a harness with relays for the headlight relay mod. Depending on your electrical experience these can both be extremely easy.

My 89 is quite rusty as well, I would like to make nice again but I doubt that will ever happen.
                          Here's a pic of it all dirty:
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome to the site! Many knowledgable and friendly people here.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            My 89 is quite rusty as well, I would like to make nice again but I doubt that will ever happen.
                            It actually wouldn't take much to bring that back to life....my '98 was similar when I bought it and with some 'disguised' rust repair and renovation of the original paint, it looks almost new.

Comment

Lots of member in your territory and you'll find lots of help and ideas here. I see a diamond in the rough. My CVs are needing to visit the paint booth. Not enough SPF in the hot southern sun..LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X