Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy folks!

New guy here, hi everyone.

Just picked up a gem this week. I lucked into a deal through a friend on a 1997 GMQ LS. I know the cliche of 'elderly owned' and I know everyone who wants to sell a car says that...but I actually got one that had been owned by an older couple and basically used as their church car and for 'going out of town in'. Its a 1997, and has been garage kept, babied-since-birth...and is sitting on a beautiful 66.2k miles. The belts are all black and look solid, no discoloring or fraying whatsoever, the seals and hoses are great, not a drop of anything anywhere. I had it inspected anyway, of course, just in case, and the report I got said it's as good as it looks - the coolant is clean & light green, the power steering and brake fluids are clean, the oil was a golden tan, etc. The interior is like a trip back to 1997 except for one stain on the carpet. This lovely couple also decided a new set of tires might help them sell the old hulk...so it even came with 4 crispy-clean Michelin's. I couldn't slam my $3200 down fast enough. So, long story short, this thing rides like a dream. It's in exquisite shape, with only a couple of very minor flaws. It's a blank canvas, and I keep thinking of things I want to do to it, and all week I've been reading up on mods and upgrades, my oh my...and along the way I stumbled across this site.

I have a couple of questions I'd like to get some help with, and this seems like a good place to drop them.

So, how can I tell which options package it came with? Someone said the VIN will have that info but googling it hasn't been as helpful as I'd like...any of you GMQ guru's know anything about that? Like, how can I tell if it was the "LS Premium" or the LS performance, or whatever? I don't know much about those things. I'm wondering because I want to put a Kenwood in it, and apparently there are two different wiring harnesses, one for 'premium sound' and one for I guess the basic job, and I wasn't sure which one to buy. I'm guessing by the features it's a good package but again, I don't know anything about it.

Also, oddly, the hood latch striker is...well...missing. It's just gone. There's just a square hole in the underside of the hood, that it should go across - and the latch is catching there, but it's not quite right. I need to put one of those on it, but again, my searching has turned up only limited info. The part number that I come up with most often (6W1Z-16K689-A) shows as 1998+ so I'm not sure if that's the same on the 1997. Searching the 1997 has only brought up that one, and one for Mustangs, and I haven't had time to hit the salvage yards yet to physically check. Anyone know if that's the same one? the holes look similar, just not sure.

Anyway, I'm absolutely loving this old beast, and I want to deck it out - I have some plans for this thing to get it turning heads.

But, enough from me for now - thanks in advance for any insight ya'll can give. I'll post some pics later.

-Cuss.

Welcome! Got any pictures?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years to come!

The ID tag/decal on the door retains most info, along with the VIN. For the hood, are you talking about the striker for the hood? Its come to the point where, the wrecking yard can be your friend, when dealing with these aero panthers.

Also, check to see that you have the updated intake manifold. Should have a aluminum coolant cross over behind the ALT, instead of an all plastic intake.

And dont call your car old. I just bought my '97 town car one year ago. I keep thinking it is a fairly new car. I am used to 80s era panthers

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Welcome!
        A 97 is a bit new for me to be able to give much advice, but others will be along soon enough.
        For the radio if it follows the same convention as the older cars (91-) you can tell by the connectors on the back of the radio if it is premium sound or not, but I'm not sure how much that changed over the years.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140402_194807.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1274007Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140402_194840.jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1274008Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140402_194859.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1274009Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140402_195007.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1274010

Thanks for the welcome, ya'll. There's a few pics. Image quality level: potato - but the best I have right now.

As for the intake, I will check that, but atm, I don't want to open the hood unless I have to, until I get the striker. I just need to figure out which one it is, or get some time to scavenge the salvage yards.
          For the radio, I would guess it's "premium sound" considering all the options it has, just wondered if anyone knew for sure. No biggie, I can pull it and match the harness, I think.

Thanks

Comment

I would get a sales brochure and a Ford shop manual which you can get on Ebay. Brochure will tell you about the option packages. I do not know if they still had the paper build sheet still in that year but that would help you a bunch.
            Premium sound radios do have more connectors on the back than the base radio. There also is an additional black round button on the face unlike the base radio.
            I know my 96 CV was recalled due to a faulty hood latch part.

Comment

You can order the Build Sheet from Ford. Got one a year or so ago for my '95 GM.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                You can order the Build Sheet from Ford. Got one a year or so ago for my '95 GM.
                Just a plain build sheet or, like a duplicate of the window sticker?

Comment

If yours has a paper build sheet it could be under any of the seats, under the hood mat, between the headliner and top, under trunk mat. other places.
                  I ordered a sheet from Ford a few years ago. I got a basic idea of what options and when it was built. I might have the address if you need it. Mine was not a copy of the window sticker which I was looking for. A sales brochure would help you.

Comment

Hi welcome! The boneyard is probably your best bet for the hood latch. Pep boys usually carries direct fit wiring harnesses for plugging stereos into cars. I like the color on your merc. ;-)
                    The Fist of Pain
                    2007 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

For a build sheet, I just went to the Part Department at my local dealer, gave them the VIN, and they printed one out for me. For free. They might do the same for you.

If I was home, I'd be able to answer your hood latch question. But like everyone else has been saying, the junkyard will be your best bet.

once you get that squared away, I would definitely check for the plastic/aluminum crossover. I've noticed a bunch of these low-mileage aeros have had the old intake on it.
                      So check here:

I can't see the images at work. If they are still borkt, then I will fix them when I get "home" tonight.

It doesn't look like you have the HPP(Handling & Performance Package), because those are different wheels than the HPP. And you probably have a single exhaust, too.

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Howdy! And congrats. My old 97 was the second best car I've owned.

Pete
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

The Build Sheet is different from the Window Sticker. Not sure but there was/is a company that repro's them but not sure they go back that far.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Gmornin' folks, thanks for the replies. I cancelled my Saturday morning plans to take a stroll through the salvage yard. I'll find out which striker it's supposed to have and grab one. I ordered the brochure from ebay (thanks for that tip, I wouldnt have thought of it, and no matter what, that'll be a cool thing to have.) and I'll swing by the ford dealership to see about the build sheet, again, even if I've figured it out, I'd like to have it. I ordered a Chilton book and the actual Manual yesterday too.

In the meantime, I did a little more reading, and found this list of available options from that year (not sure it's complete, but might be), and my car seems to have every one of them, except I'm not sure if it's an auto-leveling suspension, and not sure if there's a factory amp. Other than those 2, it has every single 'optional' on the list. So, I'm going to assume it's the premium radio and get that harness. If I'm wrong, then I lost a 9-dollar bet, but I'm not a patient man and want to install this stereo Sunday

Next up...intake! then...what to do about that god-awful rack on the trunk

AND a badass LE BRA. (Don't look at me like that, I'm kidding - sheesh)

have fun, folks

Comment

I missed the part about the radio. Once you pull out the head unit, you will be able to determine what harness you need. Worst case(like my town car), you will need to run a by-pass harness from the amp, to the new head unit. Not really a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X