Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver side window problem.

Hello everyone,

Have been having trouble with a sticky/lazy switch for the power window. Yesterday my wife couldn't get the window to close, she stopped by a repair shop and got an estimate. $200.00!!! Made me start thinking maybe I should try to fix it myself. I looked at the small panel where the switches are located and thought if I can get that open and maybe replace the switch,it would be fixed. Has anyone had this type of problem before?

Thanks for any help.

Year and model of car??? Switch or gear set/motor issue??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

If it's 91 or older it may not be the switch at all, may just need some very inexpensive bushings replaced in the motor. If it's 92 or newer I will not be much help, I believe the window mechanism was redesigned in 92.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks very much for the response. 2005 LS is the model.

Comment

probably the little white plastic bushings in the motor. open up the window motor and 3 bushing/pins are in there. if they are broken replace them and the window will work smoothly again. This happened on my 95 Crown Vic. They are $5 online.

Comment

On an 05 I would guess a bad motor or regulator. I don't think it would be the plastic bushings that are such a curse with older models.
            I may be wrong but I think the motors were different on those and the plastic bushing were no longer a problem.
            I would take the door panel off, get in there and see what needs to be done.
            It's easy on those whales.

Comment

When you hit the switch, does the motor turn? Or at least sound like turning, but the window is bearly moving? Does it almost sound like the motor skipping??

-ryan s.
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
              X