Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IAC problem 1986 GM 5.0?

Hi folks
    I have a 1986 GM. When you first start it it idles down ok till it warms up then the idle increases. No tac but it seems to increase several hundred rmps more when warmed up.
    Does this sound like the IAC valve or something else. I pull the plug on the IAC after engine is warm and it dies. Mech checked for vacume leaks and says there are none. He said the butterfly was the prob but I don't think so.
    Help I'm afraid this will hurt the transo!
    Bud

Have you tried re-setting your idle? Definitely can't hurt any.
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
      Have you tried re-setting your idle? Definitely can't hurt any.
      If you mean the idle adj screw it doesn't respond when I turn it out to slow it down

Comment

Maybe I should rephrase my question to: What would make my car (86 GM 5.0) idle fast after it warms up. Does fine till then. Idle screw has no effect after warm up.
        Thanks
        Bud

Comment

are you turning the idle screw or the fast idle screw for when it's warming up?

Sent from my '85 Lincolin Town Car
          Using Tapatalk

Comment

Kodiak Im not sure. The one I turn is below the throttle body pushing against a little odd shaped plate. Seems to be on the same shaft as the butterfly

Comment

Didn't know there were two screws. I thought there was just the one under the Throttle body by the accel cable
              "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
              -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

porschpow that's the only one I saw also-but I'm only a shadetree mechanic

Comment

there's only one idle screw on an EFI and it is not an idle set screw, it's the throttle valve stop screw. It does not adjust the idle. The IAC controls the idle. If you have adjusted that screw, you've messed it up. There is a procedure to reset that to the proper setting, but it's involved. I'll see if I can find the post that has the page about it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wouldn't be messing with the idle screw unless I REALLY had to (with a DAMN GOOD REASON)!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      there's only one idle screw on an EFI and it is not an idle set screw, it's the throttle valve stop screw. It does not adjust the idle. The IAC controls the idle. If you have adjusted that screw, you've messed it up. There is a procedure to reset that to the proper setting, but it's involved. I'll see if I can find the post that has the page about it.
                      Sly I have messed it up then-I have also screwed around with the throttle position sensor so any tips about that would be appreciated.
                      BTW what controls the IAC valve? It reacts when you unplug it so I don't know if its bad. Also I took it off and cleaned it out but it made no difference-it wasn't gummed up anyway.
                      Thanks
                      Bud

Comment

Could be a bad air charge temp sensor, they are cheap and pretty easy to get to. Its in the driver side lower intake, near the fuel rail under the TB.
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

the ECM controls the IAC. I'll try to remember to get that diagram that shows how to set the idle posted. It's a bit of an involved procedure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                            Could be a bad air charge temp sensor, they are cheap and pretty easy to get to. Its in the driver side lower intake, near the fuel rail under the TB.
                            sly

the ECM controls the IAC. I'll try to remember to get that diagram that shows how to set the idle posted. It's a bit of an involved procedure.
                            Thanks for this and all other responses-I was seriously wondering what controlled the IAC. Hope I don't have to replace that!!

Comment

You can try giving the IAC a few smacks with something solid when its acting up. If that repeatedly clears it up, pretty safe to condemn it.
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X