New member from FL, not new to box body Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from FL, not new to box body Grand Marquis

Hi all, greetings from the east coast of FL. I had an '86 almost 10 years ago, great car but started to develop issues with door locks, steering box leaked horribly, some rust, so we ended up selling it. Really wish we hadn't though, the more cars we replaced it with, the more I missed it.

I bought a sweet '90 GS with about 106K miles a couple weeks ago from a less than amiable Toyota dealer on the west coast of FL. I was told we had a deal(over the phone since I live about 3hrs from the dealership) for a certain price, only to be told a little later in the day that two other guys shot it down. Ad showed that it had a 3mo/3k mile warranty, but when it came time to sign the papers, they said there was no warranty on cars with over 100k miles. I asked about the ad stating different and was told it must have been a mistake. Well in looking back at their website, they seem to be making the same 'mistake' over and over, as they have plenty of cars with over 100k that have the graphic for the warranty.

The car is in great condition and ran very well on the test drive, so we bought it. I guess the old girl didn't want to leave the west coast of FL where it spent its whole life according to the Carfax, because about 20 miles from the dealership it developed a sticky caliper so we had to stop. I called the salesman, only wanting to have them take a look at it(I didn't bring any tools with me), but was told the car was as-is and that I was on my own. Anyway, we managed to get it home by give the offending caliper a few taps with a hammer, turns out the car had been driven so little that the slide pins were just sticky, mostly corrected with the taps, but fully corrected the next day and it didn't hurt the pads or rotors from what I can tell.

Car is super, everything works like it should, R134a converted ice cold A/C, seats look like no one ever sat in them, nonsmoker car, chrome shines like new, paint is equally shiny, top is perfect, even the blend stripes are good, and looks to have been garage kept. Someone backed into something and there is a slight dent in the chrome bumper, but really that's about it. It had 95k miles on it back in 2005. I haven't seen too many two tone GM's in this color or really too many two tone Grand Marquis at all. I spent a couple months looking for the 'perfect car' and wasn't really looking for a Grand Marquis again, but when I saw it, I had to have it. I will post more photos in the Member's Rides section later this weekend, but for now, here she is.

1990 Grand Marquis GS
    Bone Stock

Welcome!
    Great looking you picked up.
    Shme the 86 was sold, the lock actuators are known to develop issues, and the steering box has eventually leaked on every one that I had long enough. I just replaced the steering gear box yesterday after work on my 91 MGM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Welcome! Nice ride!

Motor City Patrick
        1988 MGM

Comment

Welcome to the party.. Gorgeous car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome! Nice ride but I hope you won't do business with that dealer again...
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome!
              The Fist of Pain
              2007 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Welcome!

Your story is one (of many) reasons I am forever leery of dealerships but looks like you scored a beautiful car!

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments and the welcome, it is good be back in a Grand Marquis. No I won't be doing business with them again, they are on the opposite coast of the state anyway, so no chance of me going back. The Grand Marquis and clean Carfax are the ONLY reasons I dealt with them, I wanted the car more than I dislike dealerships. I did beat them up on the price via email/phone, before I drove 3hrs to look at it. It is as much of a hassle dealing with private sellers on that one guy's list as it is at a dealership, plenty of dishonesty and misrepresentation there too.

I posted a thread over in the Reader's Rides section with more pics of all its chocolatey deliciousness.

1990 Grand Marquis GS
                    Bone Stock

Comment

You found the main asylum,no meds needed
                      Enjoy!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0077.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1274182

Comment

Welcome! Love the color!

'93 T-bird
                        '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                        '88 Mark VII
                        '86 CV

Comment

I heard this was the place to be if you have a box body, thanks for having me.

1990 Grand Marquis GS
                          Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTone_90GS View Post
                            I heard this was the place to be if you have a box body, thanks for having me.

You heard right!
                            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Working...
                            X