Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    What is CHMSL ?

If one of the motors works, the power circuit works. Either the switch itself is flukey inside or all 3 of those motors are dinked. Not impossible that its some of each. The master switch has to be good or the individual switches do nothing, and the individual switches must be good for the master to work. Most of the time if something is going to get dumb its the main one though. I've had reasonable luck pulling them out, peeling back the rubber seal and cleaning them with contact cleaner. Sometimes you have to actually fish paper between the contacts and polish them if they get real crusty. There is an upper and a lower one, getting the lower one is not easy but it can be done if you're patient. Helps to take out the rocker itself for better access. Put a small dab of silicone grease in there where the rocker pivots, you'll see where I mean if you pull it out.
    CHMSL = Center High Mount Stop Lamp, the stop light in the back window.

I checked the master switch and have power to all windows at all positions, so I'm sure a couple of motors are bad. I still need to check voltage at the motor plug but I'm hoping a new motor and some lube here and there will get things working again.

But I have more important things I should work on like the coolant leak, the broken door handle, and dead speedometer.
    Last edited by LSE_Dave; 02-07-2017, 10:30 PM.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
    06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
    97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Ah. Us simple folk just call that a third brake light. And no, that isn't a factory piece, or at least not one used on any 80s Lincoln I have seen.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

...Either the switch itself is flukey inside or all 3 of those motors are dinked...
        That's how my car was on the passenger side, only it was the power locks button. I just kept working the button left and right until the crusties decided to move out. Works good now.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Good luck with this project.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
            Good luck with this project.
            Thanks.
            I have a bunch of parts in the mail, including a center tail light assembly.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

That looks purty good. The two donor cars I had in mind were crushed, which also meant Ashley's '89 TC had to give up her cornering lamp to my '88. I'm still interested in those wheel covers you have. Let me know when you don't need them.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                That looks purty good. The two donor cars I had in mind were crushed, which also meant Ashley's '89 TC had to give up her cornering lamp to my '88. I'm still interested in those wheel covers you have. Let me know when you don't need them.
                They're in my trunk waiting for you.

I drove it to work today and did some work on her.

Think I figured out why the speedo doesn't work...
                and where the exhaust leak is.

Something else interesting...
                3.55s and duels

-Oil change with Motorcraft 5w30, and an FL400 filter
                -Installed "new" wheels
                -Inspected steering/suspension and brakes, it will need some steering parts and front wheel bearings
                -Replaced fuel filter, air filter, and water pump bypass hose. Still need to pressure test the coolant system
                -Topped off the rear diff, 1/2qt

Comment

3.55 open rear? New one on me, usually the 3.55 came with a traction lock as part of the tow package.

5w30 might be a little thin for that, and an FL400 isn't the right filter. 10w30 and FL1A is what they specified.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

5w30 might be a little thin for that, and an FL400 isn't the right filter. 10w30 and FL1A is what they specified.
                    There was a TSB issued a while back where Ford recommended using 5w30 in these engines so that's what I'll use, and the FL400 is simply a smaller filter, it fits just fine.
                    The 1A, 400, and 910 share the same thread pitch and gasket size.

Comment

I can't remember what the locker tag looks like. What does it say on the door sticker?
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                        I can't remember what the locker tag looks like. What does it say on the door sticker?

Comment

2 is an open. The axle tag would say 3L55 if it was a traction lock model. K is the door sticker code for 3.55 traction lock. I presume 2 is the open code.

Comment

Put about 30 miles on it yesterday and somehow it didn't use any coolant. Had 2 keys cut, and took the factory wheels to storage.

Comment

I like the wheels. Car is making progress. I wonder what law enforcement thinks when they see your plates. I am surprised an attorney has not taken that plate for their own. Maybe they are too busy chasing ambulances in Ca.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                                I like the wheels. Car is making progress. I wonder what law enforcement thinks when they see your plates. I am surprised an attorney has not taken that plate for their own. Maybe they are too busy chasing ambulances in Ca.
                                I don't think Kansas requires front plates, so you can have souvenir plates on the front. North Carolina is the same way too.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                                2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                                2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Working...
                                X