Mint '81 Mark VI Coupe (Finland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post

I do have the original on there, the connection might be iffy. Do those things break? Dunno.
    Yeah they can "go" but not sure finding a new one (like an OEM) would be easy or even possible. I'd clean up and ensure the connection is tight and see what that does for you before going crazy looking for a new unit. There has to be aftermarket units but who knows how effective they are.
    Last edited by friskyfrankie; 08-16-2023, 10:52 AM.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Seek finds the strongest channel available, scan goes through the available channels one by one, they are things of the digital radio era. UP and DN is the antenna.
      WHOOSH! ..That was what I was getting at, that those features are only found on digital radios, so that knob on the left can't be for tuning in stations. Hopefully, someone who has/had one can chime in here.

My '85 Premium sound head unit doesn't even have balance, it's got bass & treble sliders and a fader. "Premium", I guess it's got 6 speakers and an amp atleast. I've put in new speakers in the doors and intend to do the same to the rest, it sounds alright, except when it picks up beeping and whining from somewhere sometimes. Have to turn the treble way down since the old amp is wimpy and can't power the new speakers properly. Sounds better with more volume, which is a bit inconvenient.
      My guess is that the new speakers' impedance is lower than the ones they replaced. Amps get fussy when trying to drive loads lower than they're intended to.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        so that knob on the left can't be for tuning in stations.
        Why couldn't it be a tuning knob for manual tuning?
        It could be another volume knob though...
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I always figured that knob was to turn the premium sound amp on and off like the Furd and Mercs had. I actually kept the amp off on the 82 to hear more words and less boom.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The knob just pulls down to engage the amp. To my knowledge it does not turn. I had that feature on my 82 MK. I believe my Mercury has that knob too.
            I wish I could look at all the pictures but I get a message in a foreign language. Never mind.

Comment

Hmm, that makes sense. I'd wager it pulls out to turn the amp on, then rotates to attenuate gain to said amp.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
              X