Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So the Grand Marquis PI package DOES exist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
    I offered him 60 bucks on it, we'll see what he says
    He's probably on the ground laughing at your offer. I know this seller and I've seen this car at shows 16 years ago when it was still in good condition. He knows his police cars and he knows the rarity of what he has.

Last edited by neums; 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Are you sure it's the same guy? That's a lot of deterioration for a dedicated collector-type to allow his car to undergo, especially one he feels is worth money.

Also, isn't the one in your picture a 1980 model?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'm sure. Same guy, same car. Why he ran this car into the ground, I have no idea. Looks like he put a new front bumper on it, crooked though.

Comment

Originally posted by neums View Post
          He's probably on the ground laughing at your offer. I know this seller and I've seen this car at shows 16 years ago when it was still in good condition. He knows his police cars and he knows the rarity of what he has.

What he do? Drive it all winter then park kit in the woods? Kind of a shame.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            Nice thing about Mercury versus Ford speedos is that the speedo-cable quick release is lots easier to reach (IMO).
            Which is trumped by the need to remove the headlight switch knob to get to the speedometer cluster. And you can get quite a decent amount of cable with the ford cables. I can pull mine far enough forward to reach it. And I gots fat hands.

Comment

Rare or not...a POS is a POS. Plain and simple. Still a cool speedometer......the car...well not at all.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

the clusters interchange. i used my 4 idiot light cluster in GMGT which had a 6 light one. it works great and everything that should light up does.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  Which is trumped by the need to remove the headlight switch knob to get to the speedometer cluster. And you can get quite a decent amount of cable with the ford cables. I can pull mine far enough forward to reach it. And I gots fat hands.
                  Funny, removing the headlight knob was about the first interior task I learned to perform! Though to be fair, I'd forgotten that the Mercury trim uses the same piece over the speedo and the headlight plunger. Inconvenient design, that.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Rare or not...a POS is a POS. Plain and simple. Still a cool speedometer......the car...well not at all.
                    Amen. Unless that car is close to decent condition, $1500 is completly absurd. It might be worth $400..

What people need to understand is just because there wasnt a lot of something doesnt mean anyone wants it. Its still a junk car with a 140 hp 351 (one of which that doesnt even run) which is rusted beyond beleif and would have to be body off restored to be even worth $5000 .. If he wanted to sell it for dirt cheap or partially part it out and then derby it it might make sense, but the seller is clearly hoping for too much.
                    79 Grand Marquis

Comment

What I meant was, he knows the SPEEDOMETER is a very rare part and worth quite a bit more than $60. Try to find any certified police speedometer from the 1970's for less than $200! I've seen '74 Dodge Monaco speedos go for really big bucks. That Merc cluster is even more rare; probably less than 1,000 ever made.
                      Last edited by neums; 07-13-2010, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Now, now, I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it for a derby car ... if I were crazier, and had anything like the time or money to spend patching up the rust (already got a couple of those projects on my hands ...), AND wanted yet another box Panther project, I might even consider the car myself if I could get it at a price I could justify (and in my current state, free would be too expensive :p).

Are '70s speedos already going for that much? I thought expensive old parts were still mostly the domain of the really popular stuff from the '60s.

Comment

I would pay 1k dollars for it... it is rare. Resto would be a major pain in my ass though.
                          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Something is worth whatever someone will pay for it. If you were a police car guru, you might think $1500 was a steal.

As far as I can tell, on this site of Panther enthusiasts, only one member (Neums), had ever seen evidence of a car like this prior to this thread.

So... I'd say its a rare piece. And I don't think $1500 is out of line. There'd be alot of work to be done, but $1500 isn't that much money.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

Are '70s speedos already going for that much? I thought expensive old parts were still mostly the domain of the really popular stuff from the '60s.
                              Maybe amongst the police interceptor restoring clubs and sites but, checkout a Mopar forum for whatever respective 70's police car gauge setup you're looking for, and $50 is more like what you'll pay if someone has it. Like already mentioned in this thread and said time and time again, it's worth what some people will pay for it, and I'm sure there's some people with more money than brains spending $200+ for a speedometer.

Comment

It must be the guy neums is talking about, he told me its not worth ruining the car's potential for 60 bucks, so he obviously knows what he has.
                                Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                                New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Working...
                                X