'91 Crown Victoria in WV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 Crown Victoria in WV

I'd be checking this one out if it wasn't halfway across the country. It looks in decent shape to me. Thoughts?

—John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Oh my I NEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD THOSE TURBINES!!!

Car does look clean. Lookout for WV rust. My 88 lived 19 years of its life there and almost died. It's still dying just more slowly now.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'd buy it, but then again I'm not too worried about what needs to be replaced since I have plenty of parts... cars. The price is a little higher than my most recent DD '91 MGM was, but that CV looks like it might be in better shape.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Lots of flooding in West Virginia just happened. In clay county and Elkview area of WV where my mom's side of the family live. Floodwaters crested at 34' above flood stage, 22 or 23 dead across the state. My aunt and uncle had water up to the ceiling in their basement and all through their front yard. 1000 year flood.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Craigslist be like "just cleaned - inside and out. Mint."

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Need to find you a clean 2dr box. Because, science.
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
              I'd buy it, but then again I'm not too worried about what needs to be replaced since I have plenty of parts... cars. The price is a little higher than my most recent DD '91 MGM was, but that CV looks like it might be in better shape.
              I've got my eye on this for a beater...

Always kinda wanted me one of them there bastard '90 Town Cars.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                I've got my eye on this for a beater...

Always kinda wanted me one of them there bastard '90 Town Cars.
                Sweet! It's even in my price range, lol.

The thing I've found with dirt cheap cars is that you need a backup plan if you plan to DD the thing. Give it a week or so to make sure it's up to the task and fix what needs fixing. I'm not saying it's impossible to find a sub $1K car that needs nothing, but it's not common. Also, if it's been sitting for some time it seems that problems don't always immediately rear their head; so another reason to have a backup plan in place for a sub $1K DD/beater.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                  Need to find you a clean 2dr box. Because, science.
                  Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the 4-door versions for some reason. Too bad they dropped the 2-doors in '88.

The thing I've found with dirt cheap cars is that you need a backup plan if you plan to DD the thing. Give it a week or so to make sure it's up to the task and fix what needs fixing. I'm not saying it's impossible to find a sub $1K car that needs nothing, but it's not common. Also, if it's been sitting for some time it seems that problems don't always immediately rear their head; so another reason to have a backup plan in place for a sub $1K DD/beater.
                  My price range will be around $2000 and below. I still have the Mustang for my daily if the panther needs work, and vice versa. I really just want to be able to have downtime with more than one car without having to take the wife's car when she might need (or want) to use it.

I just want something that's rust free with a good running engine. I'll take a slipping transmission. Can't be that expensive to rebuild. Most of the cars around me right now are $2500 and up, all overpriced. For instance: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5702513761.html
                  —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                  1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                  1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                  1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Haha, yep. Just a bit more than what you paid for the scab. Speaking of scab, it'll be interesting to see how scabby that TC is. Going to look at an F-150 and if that doesn't pan out we'll be going to look at the TC.

Oh yeah, cars that sit are ones to avoid, unless you like projects and work. That truck we bought is a good example of that. Turns out long box regular cab one-ton GMC's aren't even all that rare like we thought. Haven't seen one like ours but have seen a few that were similar. Whenever I buy a car I plan on having to go through the brakes, fuel system, cooling system and engine stuff and maybe even trans crap if it's obviously dicked. Only after the car has been on the road without failure for 6 months will I start to feel good about it. I've reached that point with our GMC now. Still doesn't run 100% right but I trust it to take us anywhere.

Oh, on a side note I finally checked the tube that goes from the oil filler neck to the TB on our TC's. At idle there was slight vacuum on them. So spewing oil mist is definitely not normal haha. I'm going to use that as a check for whenever I look at stuff now.

That's overpriced sure, but it would sell almost overnight around here. Paint doesn't even look faded and it's rust free. I figure to rebuild an AOD you'll probably be out ~$1,100 if you farm it out.
                    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 08-05-2016, 11:41 AM.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                      Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the 4-door versions for some reason. Too bad they dropped the 2-doors in '88.

My price range will be around $2000 and below. I still have the Mustang for my daily if the panther needs work, and vice versa. I really just want to be able to have downtime with more than one car without having to take the wife's car when she might need (or want) to use it.

I just want something that's rust free with a good running engine. I'll take a slipping transmission. Can't be that expensive to rebuild. Most of the cars around me right now are $2500 and up, all overpriced. For instance: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5702513761.html
                      That is a very strange car with no options besides the air and digital radio (unusual for the year). 15in wheels must be a swap from a later car if it's not PI. And a very rare grille with the blue oval.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I remember seeing that '82. Cool car, but overpriced.
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

That stereo system looks like a Lincoln unit. The face plate looks like it is made for it, so it could have been special order. I had one in a Lincoln I had. Nice unit for the time period. For what that stereo cost, a person could have ordered quite a few nice options instead.
                          15in wheels were an option for the civilian cars, Optional tires were 215 75 15 Police package got wider rims 15x7

Comment

Working...
                          X