Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange things happening....

Hello again
    I have some strange things happening on my dashboard and the heater display.
    First, the heater display keeps randomly changing from °C to °F and the heat cannot be controlled. I have one setting and that is "hot" all the time unless I shut the heat off. It will display different temperatures though.
    Second, the light that let's you know when you have your highbeams on does not always come on. Sometimes it shows up out of nowhere and disappears again. Once I can see it and I flick the highbeams on or off, it does not react to it.
    Third, the break light showed up now since two days. It comes on and disappears in a few minutes and you can watch it fade out. Or it stays on all the way. Breaks are OK and fluids too. Safety break is eliminated.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1995 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series: "Albert" my daily driver
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series: "Don Vito Corleone" my Summer Cruise
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2004 Grand Marquis LS: "The Boss" with floor shifter (loved it) - R.I.P.
    1997 Crown Victoria: "Victoria, the Armadillo" R.I.P.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car: "Nikkatello" - R.I.P. (Miss you the most)
    1995 Grand Marquis: "Gustavo Gonzales, the dirty Mexican" - R.I.P.

I would start by cleaning all of the grounds on the engine. Also clean both battery terminals. A bad ground can cause all sorts of weird sh*t.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

+1 check grounds. Sounds like something is loose. Should be a ground distribution board under the dash to the right of the steering shaft on most cars. Newer whales I'm not sure of.

Also, there's usually a bolt holding down grounds behind the kick panels.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks alot! The car has to go to the shop for exhaust manifolds anyway, I'll ask my mechanic to check this out.

I do have another question though. It is not about a Grand Marquis though. It is about my work car. It is a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country, 3.8l
        The car had like 5 transmission changes in maybe 2 to 3 years. And I keep telling my boss to change the computer. Every transmission so far had the same symptoms. And he just changed the transmission last week. This one only has 164k on it and Chrysler checked it and there is nothing wrong with it. Yet it is pretty much doing the same thing what the others did. When I start the car and put it in drive (this is a new behavior) then it just sits and takes a few moments before it realizes it actually has a job to do and then it slams the gears in to the extend that I almost bang my head on to the steering wheel. It does that only when you start the car. Once it has been through the cycle of shifting up and down once it's good for the rest of the drive until I shut it off and start again. Same stuff happens again.
        To me that sounds alot like the computer is loosing the memory once you shut it off.
        What are your thoughts on this issue?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

+1 probably the TCM and it's having issues with the solenoid pack in the trans. Common issue on 90s, 00s, and 10s Dodge/Chrysler minivans. EVERY SINGLE ONE I've been in contact with has had that module changed at least once within the first 150K miles.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Oh that makes sense! Cause that stupid warning comes on all the time. I told the boss but I don't think he knows anything about that...
            Thank you

What do you suggest? Change the TCM and what about that solenoid pack in the transmission?

Last edited by Shayenne; 04-29-2023, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Usually it's just the TCM. They are in a bad position to get good airflow and cooling and tend to have issues with the control mosfets.

Comment

Thank you very much.

By the way that stupid warning that shows up on my dash says: "Check TPM System" I think this means Tire Pressure Monitoring. I looked it up and I think their is a button to reset that..... Unless he decides to scrap the car now cause I had to park it Saturday because it wouldn't shift past 3rd anymore. According to him he replaced the TCM who knows...

Comment

Working...
                X