No announcement yet.

1997 CVPI 4.6 Broken Crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how the 4.6 flexplate is put together, but on some motors the ring gear presses or welds on to the flexplate. It is possible for the ring gear to come off the flexplate on those. Its not common though. Stick a breaker bar on the front of the crank pulley and give it a spin. It should be fairly easy to determine if the crank broke. Honestly, it would be very very unusual to snap one without the crank pulley sitting messed up, or the starter making horrible sounds, or some other visual clue that catastrophe happened. Crankshafts are not easy to snap.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Define "not rebuildable". Lots of people have rebuilt Modular engines, especially those with performance and racing goals in mind. Timing cover fitment is supposed to be a pain in the butt if head milling is required, though.
      The clearances are such on those that you better know a DAMN fine machine shop to do the work. Hell, the rod caps are broke when they are made. Its funky.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeast86 View Post
        I'm starting to wonder if it was a good deal lol. A couple weeks after I bought that there was a '99 P71 that ran and the tranny was good and was in pretty good shape for $400 on Craigslist, the only thing wrongh with it was bad rearend.

Also, I do not believe the flexplate is broken because it is still in position perfectly like it's supposed to be. If it were broken, would it not be loose?
        Since the flexplate is also bolted to the torque converter, and the converter is attached to the transmission, the flexplate will stay in position.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaslincoln View Post
          Since the flexplate is also bolted to the torque converter, and the converter is attached to the transmission, the flexplate will stay in position.
          Ah, I didn't think about that lol
          1963 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Holiday
          1964 Chrysler Newport
          1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX
          1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
            Hell, the rod caps are broke when they are made.
            As in, they're cast in one piece and then split apart with a chisel so the caps only go back on one way?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

take the torque convertor cover off, and see if you can get it to slide towards the transmission, some of them will, if it does slide back then the flex plate is broken for sure. i'v seen that happen. you shouldn't be able to rock or slide the Torque convertor at all, if it seems to move independantly of the engine, then there's your problem. it's not really hard to change one either, a good weekend project. unbolt trans, slide it back enough to get the torque wrench back up there and your set.
              1996 Grand Marquis White, 288,600 miles as of 4-3-09
              4.6L cvpi engine and pcm, Dual Exhaust, Blue Leather Interior, Keyless Entry and Remote Start, DOT Strobes, LED Front Marker Lights, Running 93 Octain Fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegcil View Post
                take the torque convertor cover off, and see if you can get it to slide towards the transmission, some of them will, if it does slide back then the flex plate is broken for sure. i'v seen that happen. you shouldn't be able to rock or slide the Torque convertor at all, if it seems to move independantly of the engine, then there's your problem. it's not really hard to change one either, a good weekend project. unbolt trans, slide it back enough to get the torque wrench back up there and your set.
                Sure enough the flexplate is broken lol
                1964 Chrysler Newport
                sigpic

Comment

Nice to know the problem! Fixing is a bit of a pain but straightforward.

What breaks flexplates, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    As in, they're cast in one piece and then split apart with a chisel so the caps only go back on one way?
                    Actually, what they do is cast the rod in one piece, and then freeze it (I think they use liquid nitrogen) so that it becomes extremely brittle. Then, they grab it at the big end where they want the cap to be, and just snap it right off. Advantages are that it provides a better fit than anything that can be machined, it prevents you from installing the cap backwards, and it prevents you from switching the caps between rods. The technology is known as "cracked rods" or "fractured rods". Pretty slick stuff.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Man, that just sounds funky ... "fractured rods" ....

The '01 Saturn I helped rebuilt had the rods done the same way, and I'll admit it was kind of handy.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        Nice to know the problem! Fixing is a bit of a pain but straightforward.

What breaks flexplates, anyway?
                        Metal fatigue, probably caused by abuse. I can imagine someone doing neutral drops or something, would jar more than the transmission.
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaslincoln View Post
                          Metal fatigue, probably caused by abuse. I can imagine someone doing neutral drops or something, would jar more than the transmission.
                          This thing was definitely abused lol the owners didnt pay the tow bill thats how i got it.
                          1964 Chrysler Newport
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X