No announcement yet.

What synthetic oil are you running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, if you want to run a good synthetic either run Mobil1, Valvoline, or Castrol.

Personally I would recommend either the Valvoline or Mobil1 if you're running with a 302, Castrol seems to make them a little noisier even though it does have better cleaning properties than the latter two.

If you want a good filter, the Motorcraft are awesome. Just look inside of your oil filters when you're considering which one to buy, you can tell just by looking inside of them which ones are built better. Fram really isn't that bad, I use the ToughGuard filter on my cars. Reason is, same filtration rate as a Mobil1 filter, but half the price. These are also very well built filters, especially compared to the basic ExtraGuard filters. Just do not go with STP or any other no-name brand, most of them just have thin plastic guards instead of metal seperating the oil from the filter. Look inside of some of them, you'll see what I mean.

I'm with Scott, I change at 3k regardless of using full-syn, syn-blend, or conventional.
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

What would be the best oil for my grandmarq 97 model? Odometer 180000+ miles. I am in middle east nowadays.
      I am using 20/40 mobil oil nowadays.

Comment

Since I just bought my 92, i've only changed it once so far. The Independently owned (Owned by the Harley dealer next door) Quick Lube down the street uses Mobil 1 so I ran 10/30 High Mileage Syn blend with a Mobil 1 filter.

Said I can change it at 5000 but I'll be doing it at 3000.

Brian
        sigpic87 LTD Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by apple2005 View Post
          What would be the best oil for my grandmarq 97 model? Odometer 180000+ miles. I am in middle east nowadays.
          I am using 20/40 mobil oil nowadays.
          Good choice in the brand, but maybe a bit heavy lol.

I would stick with 10w40 if you want a heavier oil. Heaviest I would go is 15w50.
          1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
          1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
          1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
            Good choice in the brand, but maybe a bit heavy lol.

I would stick with 10w40 if you want a heavier oil. Heaviest I would go is 15w50.
            Thanks for your reply. But you know the weather here is very hot.
            Which one heavier 20/40 or 15/50. I shall be thankful for reply.

Comment

Bigger numbers are heavier. Which number you want larger than stock depends on the conditions under which you want it to act thicker (cold versus hot).

Stock spec for most Windsor cars was 10W30. 10W40 would flow the same when cold but protect a little better when hot. I've never had a 4.6 car, but don't they usually specify 10W20 or even 5W20?

I did some reading on a Ferrari forum once, and they were talking about choosing an engine oil based on PSI at a certain RPM per Ferrari specs.
              Last edited by 1987cp; 09-21-2009, 11:10 AM.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

10w30 in the Tank (93 MGM) and my oil cap on the Marauder says 5W-20.
                So, they get what the manual/oil cap says. No biggie here, except in the winter.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I am a sales rep. for Texas Refinery Corp. so natually I use their products in our vehicles. 5w30 in the 2003 Navigator and 2001 MGM. Typically I change the oil every 12 months which works out to 8-10k.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  Pennzoil, eh? Does the synthetic not have the parrafin content like the Pennzoil conventional is said to have?
                  Pennzoil Platinum and convential oils are good products. The Platinum uses a Group III base stock, very highly refined and performance very close to a Group IV synthetic. Their current conventional oils use a Group II base stock, which is also very good and does not cause "wax buildup" like many people would have you believe.

-Rob
                  2003 Lincoln Navigator
                  2001 Grand Marquis
                  1985 Camaro, 12.52 @ 114 MPH

Comment

May I get your opinion please?

I change the oil(20/40 mobil) in my Grandmarq 1997 Canadian model every 1500 km or less.
                    I am living in middle east.

My question is: Is it ok or should I prolong the changing interval?

Comment

Can't hurt anything.

Comment

I would be using whatever Ford specified for your car. Here in the US, its 5w30, 5w20 or 0w20 usually, depending on the temperatures. There should be a chart in the owner's manual telling you what grade of oil to run for your temperatures. The 4.6 does not like thick oil at all, so you don't want to be running anything heavier than what is suggested by Ford. Too thick of an oil will cause lubrication problems in the heads, and it can destroy the camshafts and the surfaces in the heads that the cams ride on.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by apple2005 View Post
                          May I get your opinion please?

I change the oil(20/40 mobil) in my Grandmarq 1997 Canadian model every 1500 km or less.
                          I am living in middle east.

My question is: Is it ok or should I prolong the changing interval?
                          Sounds good to me. Especially seeing as you're in a hot sandy/dusty environment. I'd rather be safe than sorry in conditions like that.

I am looking into going to full synthetic. I've been using 5w30 Castrol synth-blend since I got my 98 GM. I'm not too sure what synthetic I wanna use though. But I am due for a change and with the Wisconsin winter coming I want something good.

I always use Napa Gold (Wix) filters (I wouldn't be opposed to using Motorcraft either, just that Napa's 4 blocks away).
                          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
                          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Just picked up a jug of Mobil 1 SUV/Truck 5W30 for $20
                            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
                            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

I noticed Meijer had regular Mobil1 for just under $20 for the gallon as well. Carquest charges nearly $10 for just one quart!
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

5w20 Motorcraft Full Synthetic changed out every 5K miles.
                                [2] 05 C.V.L.X.
                                07 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                                X