No announcement yet.

Plug and wire recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advance Auto sells Autolite premium wires, I would get a set of those with Autolite plugs. I personally prefer the platinum plugs, and for an extra dollar apiece it's worth it. The coppers should do just fine, depending on the year of your car.
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

i was looking into that today myself, i wanted ford motorcraft, i stay away from ngk, because at my shop those plugs seem to have the most problems, mostly on vw's tho. i got quoted 7.80 a plug for o.e from the dealership for plugs, i say if they can last the 65,000 which theyre recommended to be changed, with no problems, then its worth the extra money. " i put ngk in my 86 camry, 4,000 miles later they were all foweld, and my freind put them in his diamante and had tons of missfire problems after" i cant say i have seen them cause any problems on a panther, but personally im going to go with o.e all around for plugs and wires.

Is Ford Motorcraft the same as Motorcraft tho? Ive always wondered

Comment

Motorcraft is the Ford branded replacement parts line. Its as close to what it rolled out of the factory with as you can get.

At one point, the original factory-installed plugs were double plats on one side, and single on the other. It has something to do with the waste spark design. On one plug, it jumps from center electrode to side strap, on the other side it goes from ground strap to center. The double plats were on the side to center end of the ignition system. Not sure when that started, but its wierd as hell pulling mismatched plugs out of a known virginal engine.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have Ford Racing 9mm wires on my Tank ($120) and 2 MSD ignition coils ($69 ea) and 8 E3 spark plugs ($5 ea)
          To me, it was well worth it.
          I am doing a motor swap shortly and the wire have been on for nearly 3 years. There's some show of wear on them. Especially after the #4 plug wire came off the coil and was still firing.
          Anyways, i was searching for new wires and found MSD 8.5mm wires on Jegs.com for $76. I'll be ordering it soon.

Hope everything works out, and let us know!

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
          X