No announcement yet.

I hate changing batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The charging system has nothing to do with starting the car!!! Your lights will not go out from the alternator. When switching the starter on, all current is routed to the starting circuit, all lights and accessories shut off. That is normal. Now do you get any indicator lights that say that the charging system is malfunctioning? An amp light? A volt reading or something? The need to jump the car everytime you need to start it? Do you have access to a volt meter that you can hook up to your car to see if the alternator is putting out any volts?

Try this one, after the car's been running for a while, shut it off and start the car again, if the car starts right up with no trouble, you have verified that That the surface charge on the battery, supplied by the charging system was enough to overcome the resistance that is probably hiding in the starting circuit. Be it a dirty or loose connection, Broken wires or a tired starter motor. You could also do the same things with jumper cables, I had a similar thing when my engine was hot where it would crank slow, it was actually my battery was bad. When I hooked up a jumper box or some jumper cables, the engine turned over fine. Fast, just as it would when the engine was cold.
    Last edited by 86VickyLX; 11-14-2009, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by srv14624 View Post
      EDIT: I just read on a bmw forum that it could be the ethenol gas. I think nys changes the formula in the gas for the winter. Well, i guess no more Mobil for me. Ill try Red Apple since they have regular gas. I might do some Lucas treatment as well.
      I've heard anecdotal evidence in favor of this, but it's 99% from people who have no clue what they're talking about. Logically, your car should at least start so long as the junk in your tank bears a passing resemblance to normal pump gas.

Just concentrate on determing what's really the problem (no crank, no fuel, no spark) and fixing it.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yeah, NYS transitions to a different blend in the winter, which really shouldn't give your car any problem, or else they wouldn't change it.
        Now, all these guys are correct. Take the stater out and take it to your local parts store ( advanced, autozone, etc) and have it tested. They can tell you if it's ok, or on it's way out. That will definately help you, and us in diagnosing WTF is wrong with your car.
        I seem to blow through a starter every 13 months. I put my car on the heavy duty maintenance cycle because I use it so much and these austere Buffalo winters.

If, your starter is good, check the red power cable to to starter from the battery and the black grounding cables to make sure that they are not cracked, split, or deteriorated in such a fashion that it would cause it to short out. It may not short out completely, especially if the cables are covered in grease, oil and gunk. It may short out just enough to not supply enough power to start.
        Then we can move on to the CPS, battery, EDIS, PCM relay and so on.

Did you know that your car can run on just the battery for a short deal of time? That means that the alternator has nothing to do with the starting system, just like Dr. Octo said.

Hell, i'll be home in Niagara Falls in a few days. If you're still having troubles next weekend, i'll shoot out there to give you a hand, if you'd like.

Hope this helps.
        -ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I think I might know the problem. Give me a week to confirm what I'm thinking.
          2004 Ford Crown Victoria P71 (Frost-Bite)

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
            Yeah, NYS transitions to a different blend in the winter, which really shouldn't give your car any problem, or else they wouldn't change it.
            Now, all these guys are correct. Take the stater out and take it to your local parts store ( advanced, autozone, etc) and have it tested. They can tell you if it's ok, or on it's way out. That will definately help you, and us in diagnosing WTF is wrong with your car.
            I seem to blow through a starter every 13 months. I put my car on the heavy duty maintenance cycle because I use it so much and these austere Buffalo winters.

If, your starter is good, check the red power cable to to starter from the battery and the black grounding cables to make sure that they are not cracked, split, or deteriorated in such a fashion that it would cause it to short out. It may not short out completely, especially if the cables are covered in grease, oil and gunk. It may short out just enough to not supply enough power to start.
            Then we can move on to the CPS, battery, EDIS, PCM relay and so on.

Did you know that your car can run on just the battery for a short deal of time? That means that the alternator has nothing to do with the starting system, just like Dr. Octo said.

Hell, i'll be home in Niagara Falls in a few days. If you're still having troubles next weekend, i'll shoot out there to give you a hand, if you'd like.

Hope this helps.
            -ryan s.
            Don't forget to check the voltage drop the wires from the battery to the starter and solenoid. If your wires are crap your starter wont get enough volts. Check the starter solenoid too.
            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by srv14624 View Post
              I think I might know the problem. Give me a week to confirm what I'm thinking.
              of course. You may take all the time you need. After all, it is your car! Just let me know.
              -ryan s.
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Ok. I took my car to the local Autozone to have my alternator and wires tested. It turns out ,as i thought, my alternator is perfect, starter works like new, and there were no lose wires or shorts. The problem was in fact the battery cable part that wraps around the battery posts were crap. I cleaned them up really good before but i guess its time to replace them. $2 each is like toilet paper to me...lol.

Thanks everyone for helping me.

BTW I went there to check codes because i had cel. As soon as i got there, it went away and never came back...

Next project to do is figure out why my air suspension is always jacking my back end up... Actually i like the look of my car with it being jacked up...

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

the air bags do run low. It's just the height sensor telling the compressor to turn on to bring the car back up to height. Now, if it's happening too much, you may have a leak in the bags or somewhere in the system.

Good job on fixing the problem!!

-ryan s.
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Thanks

Even if there's a leak, i kind of like it having a rake. But then the back is stiff when i go over bumps. I hate trade-offs.

sigpic

2007 Chevy HHR

Comment

Dammit!! My battery is on its way out... I sat in the Merc today with the radio on and flashers for like 15 min. and it wouldnt crank... So i turned everything off waited for a bit and then it cranked real slow but it started... lame...
                      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
                      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Working...
                      X