No announcement yet.

98 Vic doesnt want to idle cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your computer has to "relearn" new sensors whenever they're installed. for what reason i do not know.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

the IAC however isn't a sensor... so you shouldn't need to reset the computer. And since the other stuff didn't work... there's probably no change in what the computer is getting as far as signals go.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

true enough, i wasn't really distinguishing between sensor/actuator
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Technically speaking, the IAC isn't serviceable, but yes you can take it apart and clean it, although it won't always fix it.

And running 91 or 93 is a just wasting money, assuming your car is stock.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

be prepared to buy another IAC soon, off brand iac's can act funny right out of the box.

an iac is a motorcraft only part in my book.
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

i would be going to the wrecking yard and getting a few of em for like 5 bux lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                i would be going to the wrecking yard and getting a few of em for like 5 bux lol
                x2 to.

id take a well cleaned oem iac from the yard over a new one from autozone any day.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

plus, its a cheap way to learn and verify IAC operation

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                    And running 91 or 93 is a just wasting money, assuming your car is stock.
                    usually I would say this too... but I ran plus (89 octane) instead of regular in my vic for about 6 months and the ticking while going up a mild incline at about 35mph went away. Been running regular 87 octane since and still no ticking under higher load.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Hi Guys

Am I the only one considering an air leak?

Regards

Dereck
                      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
                        Hi Guys

Am I the only one considering an air leak?

Regards

Dereck
                        I agree. Those engines do weird things with vacuum leaks. The 4.6, at least the aero versions has this stupid rubber vacuum T on the passengers side of the engine, they'd rot and cause all kinds of havoc including shitty idling, especially cold.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          I agree. Those engines do weird things with vacuum leaks. The 4.6, at least the aero versions has this stupid rubber vacuum T on the passengers side of the engine, they'd rot and cause all kinds of havoc including shitty idling, especially cold.
                          i hate that fucking tee. its a bitch to get your hands in there.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                            i hate that fucking tee. its a bitch to get your hands in there.
                            where's this vac T at? I've gathered that it's the passenger side but i'm new to 4.6 foolishness
                            sigpic

Comment

I even looked at my 93 when changing the oil today and couldn't find this T you speak of.

Comment

I am not to crazy about using an Autozone IAC either but $50 compared to $170ish from Ford is a big difference. I know "you get what you pay for" but I took a chance and so far its working fine. When I first installed it the car acted a little funny and actually stalled back out once, but it hasnt since. Been running it for about a week and a half now and seems to be ok.
                                -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                                -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Working...
                                X