Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for tips & suggestions on my maintenance project this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for tips & suggestions on my maintenance project this weekend.

2001 GM 4.6. no mods.

Hey guys, I have a maintenance project lined up for tomorrow. First time since I bought this car so I am looking for hints or suggestions to the below.

R & R rear brakes and rotors - Any special tools needed to close the caliper pistons or taking off the rotors?

Fuel filter - not sure where this is even located. HA!

Transmission filter - Should I do this after driving the car a bit or ice cold? How can I tell (without crawling under the car) if my car has a torque converter drain plug?

Oil & filter - no brainer

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend gm!
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

need a c clamp to push the piston back, fuel filter should be on the passenger side frame rail just ahead of the rear wheel
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I forget if the rear calipers are torx or allen key. I think its allen. Other than that, nothing more than a C clamp. These don't have the stupid turn-in calipers. Rotors just pop off, or if they don't you need a hammer to break the rust loose. If they have never been off, you may find a little clip thing around one of the wheel studs holding the rotor on. Just pry that off and throw it away, then the rotor should slide off.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm of the opinion that dropping the pan and filter is well enough to refresh the transmission. If you do drain your converter, don't drain it all the way because when you start the car your pump will run dry for a second or too. It dosen't matter if the car is hot or cold but my preference would be cold for the transmission

Comment

J-mod the Trans while you have the pan off!!!!

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. I am about to get started now. Brrr it's cold as f*ck outside so I am slow to motivate.
            '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Oh yeah, as far as fuel filter goes, should I unhook the battery so the pump doesn't keep running while I change the fuel filter?
              '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

car off... pump shouldn't run. no need to disconnect the battery.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Haynes says to unhook the fuel inertia switch(in the trunk) start the car and let it die or until sputters and turn off. This is to releave the fuel system pressure...

Comment

dont you have a schrader valve on the fuel rail to relive pressure? you should.
                    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                    1994 MGM GS Montigua
                    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

bah... let it spray you... gas washes off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Jobs are complete. It was the front brakes that needed replacing, which is what I initially thought as they wear quicker but I thought I heard them squealing from the rear. Rear brakes looks plenty good. The front only took about 15 min to do. Sweeeet!

Mileage: 42,720
                        '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

howd the fuel filter go?
                          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                          1994 MGM GS Montigua
                          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

gas bath... refreshing

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                              howd the fuel filter go?
                              Well prior to reading the posts above, I installed in with the battery disconnected. No problems at all changing it. R&R 5 minutes total.

(I totally forgot about the FP switch in the trunk!)
                              '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Working...
                              X