Gas Mileage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody translate the codes????

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

assuming it's the same as with boxes, you have a 3.27 open (non trak-lock) rear.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Lots of junk in the trunk??
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Axle codes
          Open/Lock/Ratio #
          -----------------------
          G / H / 2.26
          B / C / 2.47
          8 / M / 2.73
          7 / - / 3.07
          Y / Z / 3.08
          4 / D / 3.42
          F / R / 3.45
          5 / E / 3.27
          6 / W / 3.73
          2 / K / 3.55
          A / - / 3.63
          J / - / 3.85

The above information is available in the Drivetrain Section. Heeere--> http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...258-Axle-Codes

And as i recall, the aeros were lighter than boxes and whales.
          I get around 20 city and 28 highway.
          I also have a host of mods that are specifically installed for fuel economy.
          Tire pressure, I go 34 rear, 32 front.
          When was the last time you did a tune up? I'd install a new air filter, fuel filter, and do fresh plugs and wires. Maybe even clean up the MAF and throttle body.
          I run 2.73 gears. They suck for acceleration, but are awesome for crusing on the highway.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks for the info!! How does the gear ratio affect gas mileage? For example, are the lower numbers better for mileage or higher. Sorry for the dumb question! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Lower numbers have a higher top end, but less acceleration. 2.73:1 gears mean that input pinion gear (Driveshaft/ power from the engine) rotates 2.73 times every time the ring gear (Rear axle/ tires) rotates once. It's not goood for acceleration, but great for top end.
              A 4.10 gear means the driveshaft rotates 4.10 tiems to every rotation of the rear tires. They are much better for acceleration, as the engine/ drivetrain can more efficiently transfer power to the rear wheels, making the car take off quicker. The only down side is that you lose top end. I mean most people don't cruise the highway everyday at 120 mph.

In a bit simpler terms, think of it like a multi-speed bicycle:

If you use a first or second gear, you can acclerate very quickly, but you can't go fast.

But, if you start in like a sixth or seventh gear, you don't accelerate quickly, but you can go faster.

So, 2.73s (what I have) are great for cruising at highway speeds (50-75) but suck accelerating.
              3.55s, 3.73s, and 4.10s are great for accelerating (like city driving and such) but don't have much top end. Granted, you can still do 140, but the car may not like being there for too long.

I hope this helps!!

-ryan s.
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Ryan, thanks for the "crash course" in gear ratios! So, with mine being in the middle of the range, what dioes that mean gas mileage wise??

Comment

Regular. Norm. Right in the middle.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=12054

-ryan s.
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

3.27s should actually do a touch better in the city/stop and go driving as the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get it moving from a stop as it does with say..2.73s. My buddy gets 1 mpg less than me in the city in an '05 with 3.55s, and he has a very heavy foot compared to me.

My car with 2.73s and dual exhaust regularly pulls down 19mpg city in the warmer months, AC on or not. Around here, city is 0-45mph mostly. I gained about 1/2 an MPG when I installed the dual exhaust.

Clean the MAF sensor, new air and fuel filters, clean up the throttle body, new PCV, oil change with a good quality oil (I've been running either Motorcraft semi-synthetic or Mobil 1). After all that, reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or more to let the car relearn its new parameters. Also, it doesn't quite make sense to me, but I saw significant MPG improvement when I replaced my worn out shocks with the good new KYBs.
                    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Working...
                    X