Timing Belt Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt Questions

If you buy a used aero or whale without knowing the service history, is there a way to tell whether the timing belts have been changed? At what mileage do they typically need to be changed?

they use a timing chain... I am not aware any service interval.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Oh, OK. I didn't know they had chains. For some reason, I thought they had belts. That's good to know. Thanks.

Comment

you just have to be concerned with the worn out chain guides.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Would probably be best to replace the chains, sprockets and tensioners.

Comment

GrumpMarky mentioned in my 03 readers' rides thread that if the service dep't did it there will be dots and xs on the valve covers. It's the 00-03 that has problems. I sold my 97 MGM at 220k without even thinking about the chain.

Pete
            Originally posted by gadget73
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Just curious about this: I don't have a Marauder, but I think remember hearing that the Marauder engine is somehow a bit different -- maybe it's DOHC instead of SOHC?? Did the '03 Marauder also have this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by TomO View Post
                Thanks for the info.

Just curious about this: I don't have a Marauder, but I think remember hearing that the Marauder engine is somehow a bit different -- maybe it's DOHC instead of SOHC?? Did the '03 Marauder also have this problem?
                The marauder is DOHC but I dont know if they shared the problem. I can tell you that my uncle has 202000 miles on his 03 grand marquis and it has never had the timing chain tensioners done and still runs like new. He said he has heard of the problem but being that he hasnt noticed anything out of the ordinary he hasnt done anything with it. This leads me to believe that its one of those things that doesnt happen to everyone. If you buy one thats not 00-03 I wouldnt worry about it at all my cousins 96 gmq had 330000 on it when he totalled it and was still running fine, my 95 only had 118000 on it when I totalled it. The 4.6 really is a very good motor though there not very easy to get into anything to work on but they last virtually forever if taken care of properly.
                Last edited by mercurygm88; 02-25-2012, 01:18 PM.
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

When the chain guides go, you usually hear a clattering flapping sort of noise up front. The early 4.6 had issues with the tensioners draining down overnight and you'd get that noise on startup.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X