Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis with bastard block.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only issue the car currently has is damaged oil valve seals(forgot the exact name right now) and the gas tank which holds to much pressure. When I open the gas cap I could see the gas from the gasoline escaping.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pivichot View Post
      one question. how much mpg does you car do Scott? Right now with the bastard block I am getting between 10-12 in city.
      The gas mileage is ridiculously good. I filled it up once took it to Harrisburg international and back I think I did about 150+ miles. The gas gauge barely moved. Never got a chance to run the tank down, got a flat tire the next morning haha.

Comment

valve seals and an evap problem. get a new gas cap and see if it fixes that.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I already changed the gas cap and it didn't fix it. Does the gas tank have a valve that can become clogged? Also what do you mean by Evap?
          Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
          sigpic

Comment

there is the evap solenoid that may be bad, or maybe the charcoal canister or it's plumbing is damaged. i think the solenoid hangs out near the battery, and should be in a vacuum line that runs between the manifold and the box that lives under the battery. Evap is evaporative purge, basically the system that sucks the fumes out of the tank and burns them in the engine.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did remove the Evap solenoid once but there was still pressure and I have disconnected the charcoal canister to see if that helps. It didn't.
              sigpic

Comment

if you pop the rubber line off where it hooks to the steel line along the frame, does it vent? If not, the problem is back at the tank itself where the hoses all hook up. I seem to recall a check valve built into the plate where the 3 lines hook in. If the check valve is gummed in place, the vapors won't get up front to the evap system to be sucked out.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The three lines? near the 2 fuel lines? If the check valve is damaged is there a fix or do I need to install a new tank?
                  sigpic

Comment

duh, i'm an idiot. The vapor line goes to a seperate connection at the very top of the tank. it should just push into a grommet if I'm not mistaken. You may need to drop the tank to get it out tho, not sure. Likely flushing it out with carb cleaner would fix the problem though. Not much to that check valve, just a plastic body with a little plate in there.

Comment

Thank You.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well it has been over a year and I am finally trying to start buying the parts for the project. I was going on putting pi heads and rebuilding the bastard block. Now I have several questions and hope to get a hint or pointed to the right direction. If I were to go with the 302 which is the best 302 engine to go with. I would like to go with a 5.8 but I am thinking fuel mileage. I know performance and fuel efficiency don't mix well. My project consists of the following
                        1. engine. Options are 302 or rebuilt 4.6 with pi heads.
                        2. Transmissions I would be sticking with the AOD and rebuilding it with 4r70w parts. To get the wide ratio and also going with a (most likely) manual valve body.
                        3. Ecu I am planning on megasquirt. Still don't know which and most likely will have to have it tuned by a shop.
                        4. For brakes I am doing the front brake upgrades to the 98 brake system.
                        5. For the differential I am thinking of 3.55 or 3.73 to keep good city mileage.
                        6. For the driveshaft is there one that is aluminum that is a direct swap for my 92 grand marquis?

For the 302 also is there a link for basic bolt-ons to increase horsepower. Also I am going with dual exhaust.
                        The car is for driving everyday since I go to the university with it but also want a car that I could take to the drag strip to just run it.

Here is a picture of what the car looks like now.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20130509_162943.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1272601Click image for larger version

Name:	20130620_182607.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	1272602Click image for larger version

Name:	20130330_183214.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1272603
                        sigpic

Comment

5. 3.55s are good.
                          6. As long as its has the same splines on the output shaft, you can swap in an aluminum driveshaft (or mma: metal matrix alcoa). You WILL have to swap out the output shaft housing, because the outside diameter of the yoke is larger, and will not fit in the current output shaft housing.
                          I think it'll work. Or someone correct me.
                          I know it works with the AODE.

There are going to be mixed responses until you pick a motor to go with.
                          I would also suggest going with the 5.0.

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Did you patch the holes in the rear doors yet?
                            Looks nice. What color?
                            And can you pleasr take a pic showing the front corner? (And/or start a Readers Ride thread)

-ryan s.
                            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                            Originally posted by pantera77
                            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Patches are just covered by small.american flags. will cover them this year. coloris rustoleum flat black but after the project will go with gloss black or john deer flat black. will do.
                              sigpic

Comment

Also i am most likely i am goig with the 302. But wanted to know which are the years i am should be lpoking for. i can buy a rebuilt engine for about 1600. If i am going to do it better do it good.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X