Intake replaced, next steps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake replaced, next steps...

Okay, I've replaced the intake in my GM, now I need to burp the cooling system to remove the air from the system. What is the best procedure to do this without a vacuum set up? I see on the top of the coolant crossover that there is a plug right behind the thermostat housing, I presume I can crack the plug as the car is coming up to temp to purge the air from the system, right? Tips and tricks welcomed!

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Perform the procedure you outlined. Let it cool, add fluid in all places possible. Then turn on, let it warm until the thermostat opens but before the car gets hot due to air in the engine, give it a quick run up to full throttle, in 1st gear, once or twice, traffic permitting. That seems to move the bubbles out of the nooks and crannies. It must be very close to where you are working as engine temp may then go up due to air in system. So you will/may need to park right after the run. Let it cool and add fluid as necessary.

After that you can probably drive it normally, go for a non-critical drive, just keep some fluid in the trunk and keep an eye on the gauge. If it all seems good, end the ride with a 1st gear run up, could not hurt, traffic permitting. Then you could check for bubbles and fluid level after it all cools.
    Last edited by jaywish; 02-21-2013, 01:28 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Well... She runs, and the heat works, and there don't seem to be any leaks. That's the good news. Bad news, though, is that she's got a miss. I know the alternator and at least one of the coil packs were both getting showered with coolant when the leak became a crack, so I'm thinking my miss may be due to a weak coil pack. This is less than good news because the coil packs are like $67 each! I know that when I removed the old intake, I did spill some coolant down into the intake port on the head, I blew all I could out with an air compressor before installing the new intake, though. When I first started the car after the repair, it idled really rough, but she smoothed out with a little time. Is there any hope that this little miss will work itself out as I drive? It isn't bad enough to throw a CEL or anything, just feels like poop when accelerating.

Comment

Good news! A few heat cycles, and runs through the RPMs, and she's continuing to get better and closer to her old self again! I think I've (at least temproarily) dodged the bad coil bullet.

Comment

Did that job about 2 years ago, wasn't fun lol worst part was that protector thing for the fuel line on the back of the motor. I have seen performance coils from MSD for less then what you had mentioned for the coil, so if it does go bad you may want to shop around. Jegs also has their own brand performance coil for like 30$ a piece.

Comment

I might have conisdered changing the spark plugs after the manifold change. Well, after you started it up and burned all the excess cooland out of that #5 cylinder.
            I have not heard anything bad about the Jegs COPs yet. It could be an option. Summit has their own brand as well.
            Glad to hear it's running well again!

-ryan s.-
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
            X