Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering

When I move my steering I sometimes hear a clunking noise. It does it mostly when I'm backing out of a parking spot I move the steering wheel all the way to the right then when I put it in driving and start to move the steering wheel to the left or the opposite direction of when I was backing out as soon as I move the steering wheel I hear a clunking noise. Sounds like its coming from under the car. I got a 2000 mercury grand marquis. What could that be is it something to be worried about?

check ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, and the shock mounts for anything loose (joints/ends) or squishy (bushings). When I had this problem, a control arm bushing (upper) had decided to remove itself (the pinch nut had come loose and the bushing worked it way out and fell away somewhere).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pitman arm or idler arm could be shot. Check your upper and lower ball joints along with the sway bar end links. You're going to have to get under the car and take a look around.
      I would also advise against full side to side wheel movements unless the vehicle is in the air or moving; that causes more stress on the tires/power steering system.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

If its at or over 100k, it needs a full checkout up front. Could be lots of things and most of them have rather poor results if the parts fail in a catastrophic manner.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The car only has 40k and I got upper and lower ball joints less then a year ago

Comment

in that case... have the joints been greased lately?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Ya grease them every time I change the oil. And when I don't I hear the squeaky sound

Comment

yup... just need to get under it and look around then.

Comment

Working...
                X