Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not another problem...exhaust leak?!

1994 Grand Marquis

Just noticed tonight when I took it out for a ride that the exhaust sounds different. The thing already doesn't have a muffler on it so I'm really hyper sensitive to the changes in exhaust noise. As of tonight, it's started to make a noise like one of the cylinders is missing all the time, but that can't be because there is no jerkiness to the acceleration, it just sounds louder and "clunkier" than usual. Also, now the exhaust coming out of the tail pipe is not a "tut tut tut tut" sound and more like a "shhhhhhhhhhhh" sound.

So, it's straight piped?

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

With any luck, its just a flange leak after the cats. When the nuts rotted off my flange bolts in the past couple of years, it was making funny exhaust sounds under the hood even though the problem was under the car.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
        So, it's straight piped?

-ryan s.
        Not exactly straight piped. Both cats are in place, but the muffler is removed. Also the heat shield for one of the cats is removed. But I don't think any of those cause exhaust leaks, unless there is a bad weld where the new pipe replaced the muffler.

Comment

The exhaust pipes are stainless IIRC on '92up and should never rust out, where they develop leaks is at a donut where the headers meet the pipes, should be a cheap fix.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I wish they were all stainless.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

My exhaust started leaking again this year as well. I think this might be the summer of dual exhaust.

On topic though, when mine leaked is sort of sounds more like a droning farting noise... not really that cool of a sound.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
              X