No announcement yet.

burnin oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know you guys are going to start jumping all over my shit, but I started to use Lucas oil stabilzer(not the sythetic type) since about 180K miles. My car now has 250K miles. Basically the car doesn't burn any oil at all, and still gets 22-23 MPG. I don't care what anyone on the internet says, the stuff works for me. Hey, give it a shot and if it doesn't work for you then don't use it. I'm getting '01 Mustang GT heads pretty soon so I guess I won't have to do the seals...
    My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

This isnt cvn, we wont jump your shit for using stuff like that. Lucas is some good stuff. Ive used it many a time.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
        It will run just fine. Its just annoying. The use of 10-30 mobile one slowed ange's consumption. It starts burning fast when its due for an oil change tho. Also check you pcv, don't want to loose any more oil than necessary.
        No one with a 4.6 should use anything other than 5w30 or 5w20...10w oil is asking for problems. Lucas is fine for other things, but will only mask a problem for a short time with a 4.6. It is like adding thick gear lube instead of oil to the engine. OUR ENGINES WERE NOT DESIGNED FOR THICK OIL! Run too thick and you will be replacing heads-cams trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyiroc
          No one with a 4.6 should use anything other than 5w30 or 5w20...10w oil is asking for problems. Lucas is fine for other things, but will only mask a problem for a short time with a 4.6. It is like adding thick gear lube instead of oil to the engine. OUR ENGINES WERE NOT DESIGNED FOR THICK OIL! Run too thick and you will be replacing heads-cams trust me.
          I agree with you, but if there are more than 200K miles on the motor and the ambient temp isn't low than it works. When you get to that mileage, you're waging a battle between replacing heads/cams or replacing the motor after the oil burns out the heads and the motor siezes.
          In extreme cases it works, but not in most.
          I try to avoid statements like "No one with a 4.6 should....."
          All I can say is what works for me. Nobody has to take my advice.
          My shit runs good.

Comment

lucas is good shit......i use it in everything including the 95 turd........keep your thin ass motor oil, i've known people to use 15w40 in cars, and the motors last for hundereds of thousands of miles.......i use 10w30 and a qt of lucas every other oil change

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

4.6 motors are supposed to use thin oil tho, something about small oil passages or whatever. I guess once its got miles and some wear on the parts you can get by with thicker oil to take up for it. My truck says 5w30 and if I run thicker the lifters tap and rattle in the winter. I just go with whatever the manual says to use.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                4.6 motors are supposed to use thin oil tho, something about small oil passages or whatever. I guess once its got miles and some wear on the parts you can get by with thicker oil to take up for it. My truck says 5w30 and if I run thicker the lifters tap and rattle in the winter. I just go with whatever the manual says to use.
                Oh no, I agree with you, it's all about what works. Like you said, once there is high milage then the thicker oil makes up for it a little bit. Plus, I drive a civvie car so I have no oil cooler. This means that on long trips in the summer my oil thins out like a bastard. I know this because of my gauge. So the thicker oil stands up to the heat better than the 5W. But in the winter, I run 5W because the 10W was a little too thick in the sub-zero temps we see up here. So basically I run the correct weight in the winter, but once it warms up I have to run the thicker oil. Hey, I could run the thin oil, and then after my motor blows up I can come onto the internet and say, "Well at least I was running the correct oil".:bs:
                I understand what the factory recommends but again, I go with what works for me. I think the newer MOD motors are different, they run even lighter oil than the older ones.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                  Ding Ding we have a winner, tell him what he won Al.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyiroc
                    I've never run anything but 10W-30 in our fleet, including in brand new motors. How am I getting 400-600K out of 4.6's? 10W-30 is no thicker than 5W-30 except in cold temps. Further north, sure, run 5W. South of the Mason Dixon line, there's few places that ever get cold enough to require 5W oil.

I won't get into the whole 5W-20 vs 5W-30 thing. You can search CVN for all the opinions you could ever dream of on that subject.
                    :worship: Aeros r00l.

Comment

Originally posted by BMFer
                      I've never run anything but 10W-30 in our fleet, including in brand new motors. How am I getting 400-600K out of 4.6's? 10W-30 is no thicker than 5W-30 except in cold temps. Further north, sure, run 5W. South of the Mason Dixon line, there's few places that ever get cold enough to require 5W oil.

I won't get into the whole 5W-20 vs 5W-30 thing. You can search CVN for all the opinions you could ever dream of on that subject.
                      Yeah, or one could do a bit of research and understand *gasp* what the numbers mean. But then one would have to understand viscosity and all the mumbo-jumbo science shit. Opinions, however, are far better.

Comment

Originally posted by mephistopheles
                        Yeah, or one could do a bit of research and understand *gasp* what the numbers mean. But then one would have to understand viscosity and all the mumbo-jumbo science shit. Opinions, however, are far better.
                        I'm pretty sure that BMFer understands what the numbers mean, as do I and a lot of other people in the Panther community.
                        You mention opinions, but the statements are NOT based on opinions, they are based on my personal EXPERIENCE, and I think he just proved that his are based on his personal EXPERIENCES.
                        People usually don't just wake up one day and decide that they're going to just start running some strange weight of oil.
                        Different people have different experiences with different cars.
                        Can't we all just get along and let each owner run what works for them?
                        Why does it have to degrade into the old third-grade "you-aren't-doing-exactly-what-I-would-do-so-you're-wrong" type of mentality?

Comment

When I was young(and dumber), I ran 20w50 in my 89 Lesabre
                          w/3800 V-6. I even ran it into the winter until I got around to changing to a thinner 10w40. Made some nice knocking sounds in the morning when cold out.

It had 200,000 miles when I dumped it(bought it at 68,000). Still ran fine, no knocks/oil burning or leaks. Good oil pressure. AND at that point, I had made the switch back to 10w30. Ahhh, the good ole days......

I use 5w30 full(fake)synthetic Valvoline in my Merc. Has worked fine, so why change the weight to 5w20 now? But one change I am going to make is to switch to that extended performance Mobil one stuff. No place to change my oil here and taking it to the shop is WAY too much. I'll just change it when visiting the parents and let er go 8000 miles or so, fuck it.
                          1995 Grand Marquis LS, digi dash, loaded
                          124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

Originally posted by mercenvy
                            I'm pretty sure that BMFer understands what the numbers mean, as do I and a lot of other people in the Panther community.
                            No. I could show you a wall full of credentials and ASE certifications, and I maintain a 150 unit fleet that is 90% 96-05 panthers and have done so for nearly 7 years, and these cars travel an average of 60,000 miles a year and routinely see 400,000-600,000 original engine miles, but I don't know jackshit about oil viscosities or what is best for a Ford modular V-8. Hell, I had my Mommy help me with all those silly courses and tests tests anyway. I know nothing really, so ignore me. BTW, can someone here tell me where a 98 Crown Vic's air filter is located? I've been looking for that since I started this job.

:worship: Aeros r00l.

Comment

^^^^LMFAO!

Comment

I have personally worked on 3 panther cars where too thick of oil caused the cam to wear out the head castings cam bearing surface. There are no bearings in the cam/ heads such as in your rod caps and mains. So when they wear you will replace the whole head. The rockers fall out if it wears out enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X