No announcement yet.

burnin oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only time I've seen said failure on a 4.6 was when an oil filter housing gasket failed and the moron driver drove it 12 miles back to the shop with the motor rattling away. I am not disagreeing completely with you. I agree anything over 5W-30 or 10W-30 is too thick, and 10W-40 is a just plain shitty grade of oil to begin with. 5W-20, OTOH, is not about tighter clearances. It's all about CAPA, Ford saving a few bucks on fines, and Ford making money on selling new engines or new cars when mod V-8's fail at 100-150K from using water thin oil. Use 5W-20 if you wish, but when your engine smokes heavily every time you idle it for 5 minutes at 75K, know why. I have seen it first hand, in a government fleet a couple blocks up the road from me. They switched back to 10W-30 and disregarded Ford's BS recommendations, and no further issues.

If one were to use strictly Mobil 1 or Amsoil 5W-20, that may be a whole different story.
    Last edited by BMFer; 07-08-2006, 11:45 PM.
    :worship: Aeros r00l.

Comment

Originally posted by BMFer
      can someone here tell me where a 98 Crown Vic's air filter is located? I've been looking for that since I started this job.

jiffy lube knows where my cabin air filter was cause they said i needed a new one and i paid 29 dollars for a new one

Comment

lol omg You have to be kidding.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

For some reason I didn't think they had them...
          My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

That is why I was hoping he was kidding.
            2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

10-4!
              My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

I run 5w30 and it has been just fine.

my '00 doesnt have a cabin air filter. i'm not sure, but i don't think panthers started using them until '03.
                2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

Thicker oil at higher RPM's can cause the lifters to push the valves off the seats. Imagine some of the valves opening when they shouldn't..?
                  Do it with a 5spd!

Comment

The only reason that ford used 5w-20 is because of CAFE....For those who dont know what that is...the feds average the mpg of every model a car manufacurer makes (excluding heavy duty trucks i think) and it has to meet a certain number if it doesnt meet that number then the manufacturer get fined(I think its $1,000 a car)..Thats why even the mustang runs 5w-20 oil...The heaviest oil Ive seen used in passenger cars since 2000 is 5w-30...

Personally if your in a high performance app. then I would use at the least 5w-30 when it calls for 5w-20 (synthetic oil of course)..

I used to use 10w-40 but that was before I fixed the crack in my oil filter adapter...Now im back to 10w30

When it comes to the stock application use what the book tells you to use...Its there for a reason..
                    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                    Originally posted by MeanVic84
                    Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Working...
                    X