exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nchilds21 View Post
    ok well i wasnt planning on taking out any of the cats... i was just gonna replace them and the car has 87 K on it....and does anyone know where an exhaust shop is in Northern VA??
    If you're in VA you should get with Blaze86Vic, who's also from Virginia. Somewhere we have a link to a map on Frappr or something that shows approximately where several members live .... quite a few are out on or near the East Coast area.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      Then Flowmaster might not be the brand for you. Maybe something like Dynomax Super Turbos would be more your style.

That's entirely up to you unless local laws say differently. Most of us like tips to end at a position where they're just visible but don't protrude too far visually.
      i mean i dont want it to be EXTREMELY loud... i wanna be able to hear it but i dont wanna have to talk loud or not be able to talk on the cell cuz its too loud.... and yea i want them to just show between like 3-5 inches behind the car

Comment

Originally posted by 97cv View Post

Interior noise. Well with my all stock and Flowmaster 40's I have to unroll the windows and can only hear it under gas station awnings and under bridges. I cant hear one god damn thing in the car.
        :cough: :cough:

Comment

heh ... you know Rizzo, it's different when your eardrums aren't blown out ...

Comment

Hey my hearing was tested for work. I raised my hand at near Zero decibels. And I wear ear plugs at the bar.

Comment

I know, I know, just gotta needle ya. Your car didn't sound too crazy loud when I heard it in person. My exhaust actually gets louder when the ignition is having a slightly hard time and quieter when it's working at its best.

Comment

My truck has a rusting Magnaflow muffler and no cat and it's barely audible at idle. It's kinda loud when I gas it but it's very tolerable. If I wasn't so cheap i'd get another Magnaflow muffler but Flowmaster is cheaper so i'll probably get a 40 series muffler.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I didnt have them then. I dont think I did ? Hell All I remember is it was GOD DAMN COLD.

Ok back to tpioc. Anyone in favor or against the engine paint idea. Mine already look like they are 3 years old.

Comment

I'd be in favor of trying to locate some VHT high-temp stuff specifically for headers and exhaust. 500-degree engine paint will almost certainly flake right off, and Duplicolor header paint just plain sucks.

Comment

What ? ...........Speak up.

Comment

Rotmasters, eh? Makes me glad that I bought a pair of SS Flowmasters (no, they aren't on the car yet).

-Rob
                        1996 Police Interceptor-187K miles **Replacement DD found**
                        Engine/trans: '03 4.6, underdrives, shorties, 80mm MAF, Custom downpipes, Ported plenum, 70MM T/B, and Dyno Tune. J-modded Y2K 4r70w w/ Marauder TC.
                        Misc: ADDCO bars, Big brakes, 17" wheels, '02 steering box, and LXSport console w/ floor shift! :headbang:

Comment

Just remember to remove those pesky resonators on the tailpipes
                          R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                          Originally posted by MeanVic84
                          Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

does it matter where the inlet and outlet are aligned???

Comment

Yes it does; you'll more than likely need the offset inlet/outlet; thats what the older boxes need, and I believe thats what my Dad's P71 requires as well.

As far as Flowmaster Mufflers go: mine (40 series) are two years old now, and they have rusty welds, but they're in great shape. They aren't in danger of blowing out, etc. My car is pretty loud at idle, and under WOT (it rumbles ratehr nicely at idle). But, it isn't really obnoxious; it has a "watery" tone to it. It used to resonate like crazy inside, but after I added better insulation under the carpet, the resonance is gone, and the car is much nicer to drive. Less road noise, and just enough interior exhaust noise.

As far as painting the exhaust; my brother just painted his Flowmaster cat back on his F250 (brand new, before install). He painted it with clear Dupli Color 500* paint. It turned brown, just like the intake manifold on my car. If you paint it, paint it with silver high temp (and not 500*).
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Alright........Tanks.................and planes

Comment

Working...
                                X