No announcement yet.

4.6 box swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i vote 5.0 in an aero. maybe swap a '96+ explorer motor/trans to stay OBD2. should make the front end lighter.

Comment

eh... went to an autobody shop for second opinion on the frame... he states that that particular damage shouldnt effect or comprimise the rigidity of the frame... so the demon is here to stay...yay!
      2000 Grand Marquis LS: Back in the Panther Life Again.

Comment

I was thinking about a 5.4L mod engine swap a while back using a Navigator engine and tranny. The hardest thing for me is getting the wiring issues worked out to get the engine to run. The hardware wouldn't be too hard to fab up. It's been a while since I have looked into this. I'll see if I can find my old links to this topic.

Packman

Comment

I have some additional information that might help you out. There was a yellow 78 Ford pickup from the January 2008 issue of Classic Trucks magazine with a swapped 5.4L mod engine. It is owned by Arvel Gatewood. It looks like he contacted The Detail Zone in Deleware for the wiring and tuning of the 5.4L mod engine and tranny. Here is the link for The Detail Zone.

Home of Telorvek Fuel Injection and other quality Street Rod parts. Wilmington, Delaware. We install what we sell. Mail order is not a problem.

Gatewood also contacted Jim Meyer Racing for help with getting the 5.4L engine into the engine bay of the 78. It looks like he welded in an IFS kit from that company. Here is the link for Jim Meyer Racing.

I know this was a 5.4L and not a 4.6L like you mentioned, but I still hope this brings you a little closer to completing your project.

Packman

Comment

Well, if you want to talk professional builders, he might also pop out to see my buddy in Indiana ..........
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by projektRoyalDemon View Post
              wow... figured .4ltrs wouldnt be that big a difference.
              The displacement of the engine doesn't dictate it's actual size, the 4.6 DOHC has a complicated and space consuming valve-train.

And to be super technical the difference between the 302 and the 4.6 is only .3 liters (302 CI is actually 4.9 liters but ford thought it would be easier to market a 5.0 liter V8)
              Last edited by 87vicFIVEO; 06-10-2008, 07:51 PM.
              1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
              FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

I agree with Packman... A 5.4 would be badass (or a 6.8 V10...maybe???) I'd think the 5.4 would be pretty easy swap, considering they have the same exterior dimensions as a 4.6 (if I am not mistaken).
                I plan on keeping my MGM for a long, long time so when the engine and/or transmission takes a deuce I'd like to swap in a manual trans. and DOHC 4.6 or 5.4.
                That'd make one of the coolest Grand Marqs ever!!!
                1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
                1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

You can go carbed with the 4.6 and make a lot of power still Hot rod did it, I'm sure you can too...look it up on there website.
                  YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter View Post
                    You can go carbed with the 4.6 and make a lot of power still Hot rod did it, I'm sure you can too...look it up on there website.
                    You can, but why would you want to?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Yeah, I thought about that for a sec, then my logic circuit kicked in again.
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                        You can, but why would you want to?
                        Because its cool AND weard.....and besides after a few years of random weird tune ups on the EFI 4.6 I'm sure it will get VERY expencive.....like coil on plugs and the wires the fuel injectors...all that shtuff gets pretty expensive after the 2nd or 3rd time replacing them that and running codes and getting a new tune every time you change a part is bothersome....AND expensive.

Is that a good enough reason? Or do I have to keep digging?

Comment

have you ever seen the prices on the carb 4.6 intakes and the ignition setup required to work with that? Properly done, you don't need to contstantly re-tune an EFI system. Also, if you're smart you don't continue to change major parts on a regular basis so there would be no need for any tuning.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Comment

Carb'd 4.6 ...

Why?

Comment

that was a pretty interesting article thanks for the link

Comment

Working...
                                X