4.6 box swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 - neato article!
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

A neat article nonetheless, but what if you live in a state where you can't change over to a carb w/o failing emissions. Though for boxes, I think they are now eligible for QQ plates. At this point carb is probably the way to go. Unfortunately I now know how to get an LS1/LS2 into my old Malibu. There are companies that make the wiring harnesses, mounts, brackets, and exhaust for those swaps. Perhaps some more digging may turn up some of the same for the 4.6/5.4 platform. A lightning box would be the sheet.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
        A lightning box would be the sheet.
        That's a fun thought! And you could even have neat little stickers or nameplates made up that read "Lightning Box". That'd be kewl.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          And you could even have neat little stickers or nameplates made up that read "Lightning Box". That'd be kewl.

Or extremely gay.....

Comment

wow... this thread is still going... damn.
            2000 Grand Marquis LS: Back in the Panther Life Again.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
              I agree with Packman... A 5.4 would be badass (or a 6.8 V10...maybe???)
              6.8 swap has been done; the car was featured in Hot Rod several years ago. But the V10 is, and always has been a turd.

A carbed mod motor is not cheap, but I'm not saying I wouldn't do it. If you don't want to deal with as much electronic shit, or you prefer the look/ tuning of the carb, it is a solution. To each his own...

It is different... and I believe I was having a talk with someone in the chat recently about how they like different types of engines...
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                That's a fun thought! And you could even have neat little stickers or nameplates made up that read "Lightning Box". That'd be kewl.
                Well, maybe not "Lightning Box", but "Lightning Bolt" that I had originally intended to name my mom's car if they had let me build the 1st gen Lightning engine and a Thunderbolt teardrop hood scoop. That woulda rocked!!!!

Packman

Comment

Why would you carb a 4.6 when you can carb a LS motor for the same cost and make way more power
                  R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                  Originally posted by MeanVic84
                  Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmarchris View Post
                    Why would you carb a 4.6 when you can carb a LS motor for the same cost and make way more power
                    Smart mang...
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Or put in a carb'ed 408 for great justice

Stick with pushyrod Ford Small blocks for the Box unless you shit money and have tons of time on jer hands.
                      2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                      2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

if you are going to put the money in it drop in a 427 dual quad cammer. that would be neat AND expensive
                        '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Originally posted by ss_mini14 View Post
                          if you are going to put the money in it drop in a 427 dual quad cammer. that would be neat AND expensive
                          I doesn't cost 25,000 (or more) to drop a modular engine in...

Comment

I'm guessing the most effective way to get a modular into a box would be to take an aero (I'd stick w/ a 92-94) and drop the box body on the frame. Reuse the electrical / hvac + dash from the aero.
                            Lotsa time and effort, tho, for little gain.
                            1996 Police Interceptor-187K miles **Replacement DD found**
                            Engine/trans: '03 4.6, underdrives, shorties, 80mm MAF, Custom downpipes, Ported plenum, 70MM T/B, and Dyno Tune. J-modded Y2K 4r70w w/ Marauder TC.
                            Misc: ADDCO bars, Big brakes, 17" wheels, '02 steering box, and LXSport console w/ floor shift! :headbang:

Comment

We plan on using the 04 rolling chassis and a 347 stroker along with a 5 speed in an 1989 crown Vic. Since the engine and body is going to remain almost the same electronically as the 89 stock that part of the swap should be pretty easy going (I hope)

I think we're the first ones to try it out
                              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Working...
                              X