No announcement yet.

Single to dual exhaust....intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no, i'm still in NC, but without my car. They wouldn't let me drive down. (this time).
    But, they did give me a 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis as a rental as a no-cost upgrade! the car had 3.6 miles on it!!!

but, it's looking like the testing may be done in late december, early january. But it will be done, nonetheless....
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
      no, i'm still in NC, but without my car. They wouldn't let me drive down. (this time).
      But, they did give me a 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis as a rental as a no-cost upgrade! the car had 3.6 miles on it!!!

but, it's looking like the testing may be done in late december, early january. But it will be done, nonetheless....
      Ahh badass! How is the brand spankin new Merc?
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

totally awesome. I was thinking to myself, "Man, i could so go for a new one"!!
        Then my GF says, "remember, the marauder is in the garage"
        and then the urge to get a new one is terminated.
        but testing will be done soon.
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

two points, the 1995 panthers were also OBDII Compliant/equipted. and the Police Intercepter will fit on the 92+ years, just try to get the same year, as a couple times, they changed the spacing on the pipes, not by much, but enough to make it a pain to install. i just installed a set of duals on my 96 Grand Marq, and it made a moderate difference. sounds a little better, but accelerates lots better.
          1996 Grand Marquis White, 288,600 miles as of 4-3-09
          4.6L cvpi engine and pcm, Dual Exhaust, Blue Leather Interior, Keyless Entry and Remote Start, DOT Strobes, LED Front Marker Lights, Running 93 Octain Fuel.

Comment

To the OP. WHat you have is essentially an obese mustang. any modification that works well to a 4.6L mustang will work on your car. Granted, aftermarket doesn't support the Merc/vic crowd very well, so your on your own when looking for a nice 2 1/2" dual exhuast, but your basic bolt ons to the motor are interchangable.

Look for a stock dual exhaust from a Police car. if you want to go faster cheap delete the cats, they are making more backpressure than your mufflers. Underdrive pullies work. If you don't have alot of cash to dip into the motor alot, swapping in a PI intake and cams will make for a huge improvement. The heads only account for about 10-15 hp of the difference in horsepower over the non PI.

LIke others have said gearing helps alot. If you can find a used upper intake/Throttle body combo on a mustang website for cheap that works as well, but they wont gain a whole lot untill at least the lower intake is upgraded.
            Last edited by ogre; 11-28-2009, 09:07 AM.
            sigpic
            Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
            Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

This is what i put in. It made a significant enhancement to both, sound and performance.

-ryan s.
              how much did you pay for that all together? and where?
              sigpic

Comment

I got this setup from Advanced Auto. I paid a pretty penny for it because, i needed new cats to pass inspection, and my exhaust had been messed up for almost 3 years. So i really didn't care how much it costs.
                - 2 Walker Cats. ( one cats instead of a pre-cat and a cat. It's an improved stock deign) - $194 each
                - 1 Walker H-Pipe - $74
                - 2 Thrush Turbo Mufflers -$27 each
                - 2 Walker over axle tail pipes (no resonator) - $27 each
                - 1 set of exhaust manifold bolts - $11
                - 2 gaskets for the H-Pipe to Cats - $8 each

It was roughly $600. But I didn't have time to chase down parts in the junkyard and such. I did buy a few cans of 1300* hi-temp paint in aluminum and painted the entire exhaust in it to limit the corrosion to the system.
                It sounds great. I just have to find some time to modify my Marauder tips to make them fit.
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

I have read MANY test reports from the Michigan State Troopers, where they test just about everything about police care.

Incredibly, the CPV with 3.27 gears was exactly as fast to 60 and 1/4 as the CPV with 3.55 gears, several years in a row.

(I have the HPP with 3.55)

Comment

I got this setup from Advanced Auto. I paid a pretty penny for it because, i needed new cats to pass inspection, and my exhaust had been messed up for almost 3 years. So i really didn't care how much it costs.
                    - 2 Walker Cats. ( one cats instead of a pre-cat and a cat. It's an improved stock deign) - $194 each
                    - 1 Walker H-Pipe - $74
                    - 2 Thrush Turbo Mufflers -$27 each
                    - 2 Walker over axle tail pipes (no resonator) - $27 each
                    - 1 set of exhaust manifold bolts - $11
                    - 2 gaskets for the H-Pipe to Cats - $8 each

It was roughly $600. But I didn't have time to chase down parts in the junkyard and such. I did buy a few cans of 1300* hi-temp paint in aluminum and painted the entire exhaust in it to limit the corrosion to the system.
                    It sounds great. I just have to find some time to modify my Marauder tips to make them fit.
                    nice so the behind the cats is actually pretty cheap, I personally will probibly have a shop make me 2 cattless pipes, as we do not have e-check.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ogre View Post
                      nice so the behind the cats is actually pretty cheap, I personally will probibly have a shop make me 2 cattless pipes, as we do not have e-check.
                      Yeah, have them swap out the cats and have them make an h- or x-pipe it'd probably be pretty reasonable. You might want to get a tune for running it without the cats.
                      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
                      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

no need for a tune without cats, it throws a MIL but does not effect the operation of the engine. My mustang ran with the catless-MIL for years.

The system has an h-pipe already, the cat pipes are separate. I'm talking about just 2 pipes that go between the manifolds and H-pipe.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ogre View Post
                          no need for a tune without cats, it throws a MIL but does not effect the operation of the engine. My mustang ran with the catless-MIL for years.

The system has an h-pipe already, the cat pipes are separate. I'm talking about just 2 pipes that go between the manifolds and H-pipe.
                          Ohhh ok I didnt know you had duals already.

And if it will run good without them then fuck it. Do it up!! Get yourself a mean sounding Panther.
                          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Running with out the cats and throwing a MIL for either O2's or Cats will hurt performance unless you have either a tune or use the MIL eliminators. It causes the comp to run in a closed loop "safe mode". at least it did on my '98 Stang GT.

Comment

Originally posted by phatt_daddty View Post
                              Running with out the cats and throwing a MIL for either O2's or Cats will hurt performance unless you have either a tune or use the MIL eliminators. It causes the comp to run in a closed loop "safe mode". at least it did on my '98 Stang GT.
                              Yeah see thats what I thought. Plus I think the total lack of backpressure would hurt performance. I have no torque with my straightpipes (-2 cats) now that I put the PI intake manifold on. I have some glasspacks laying around so hopefully that will give it just enough backpressure.
                              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Working...
                              X