No announcement yet.

4.6 PI Motor Swap With OBD-I Setup 1992-2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan is going to keep a lookout for another coil pack style timing cover. at this point... it would probably be way easier to just shove the coil packs back in and run un-chopped wires and the original injectors/ecm.

unless you've got any better ideas. I'd really like to make the rest of it as easy as possible on you and get it running rather than go all exotic with the OBD-II

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You could always have Ivan make you a pair of brackets for the coil packs.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Ivan is the master of fabrication and welding.

Comment

Still would need another 1993 wiring harness and a lot of surgery to go even with coil packs. Either way it involves customizing a harness and truth be told I'd prefer to not have to do that. No way around it that I can see though, short of replacing the engine with a stock one, or replacing the car with one that the engine mates with. Or we could just find you a nice Reliant automobile.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

bah. ok... in that case... just do what you can. I'm hoping y'all will be done before summer gets here and can drive it down before the heat gets level with hell.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

At this rate, you'll be driving it home from Scottfest.

Comment

I'd like to drive it up there first though. I'd rather not have to fly up there. The cost of a one way ticket would pay for gas there AND back.

Comment

well, I was looking for something else, but I think we should set you up with one of these

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll pull a Clarkson on you if you do

Comment

hehe. I was actually looking for a Plymouth Reliant but thats what came up when I punched in "Reliant" in GIS. Its rather nerdier I think.

Comment

now a Plymouth K car would be fun (with engine swap and turbos)... kinda like a baby LTD with a built 408w.

Comment

found out an interesting bit of info about the lock-up solenoids...

1992-1994 crown vics use a low impedance torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid. 1995+ crown vics use a higher impedance solenoid. Use of a high impedance solenoid with a 92-94 powertrain module will result in no tcc apply. Use of a 92-94 low impedance solenoid in a 95+ vehicle will result in powertrain module and/or wiring harness damage. Watch out if installing a 1995 transmission from a non-panther platform ford vehicle as some of these were still "low impedance" solenoids. Additionally note that a low impedance "hardwire" circuit board type tcc solenoid is not avaliable from ford or from the aftermarket. However, a 1992-1994 solenoid can be modified to physically fit inside a transmission with a hardwire case connector system by removing some of the plastic around the connector with a tool such as a hacksaw blade, sawzall blade, dremel rotory tool with cutoff wheel, etc. The dimensions of the oil passage hole cut into the valve body has NOT changed between the model years. Click here to view additional information about this modification.
                          Let me know if this will be an issue and maybe we'll just swap in a 01-08 4r70w.

edit: got to thinking about it... maybe just rig up a relay for it?
                          Last edited by sly; 07-23-2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

hm, wonder if a relay will do it. Depends greatly on the impedance of the relay coil vs the impedance of the solenoid I suppose, and what their definition of "high impedance" is. Guess its a good thing to know before I burned something up though. Maybe short term I'll pull that pin from the connector so it cannot lock the converter clutch just to see if things are otherwise operational, and then sort out what to do with the converter clutch after the rest is verified. I do have to wire in a relay to work the starter solenoid already, so I suppose one more relay won't be that much of a problem. A later trans wouldn't be a terrible idea though. Its still got that output shaft sensor that there is no hole for in the AODE, but one thing at a time here.

Comment

I'm trying to find the technicals on those solenoids. If I find out... I'll let you know.

Comment

found it...

Originally posted by http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113681&postcount=8
                                The TCC is the one of the main parts you have to change out when installing a 98+ 4r70w trans. I have done the swap. The 94 TCC has an impedance of 1 to 3 ohms. and the 96+ TCC has an impedance of 10-16 ohms. So using the wrong one could give some problems.

This is from MN12performance article:

TCC solenoids are not interchangeable. You must use the correct resistance solenoid for year and type of vehicle.

· TCC solenoid - 1 to 3 ohms (Fits 1992 to 1995 except 1995 Lincoln Town Car, Grand Marquis, Ford Crown Victoria) F2VY-7G136-A

· TCC solenoid - 10 to 16 ohms (Fits 1995 Lincoln Town Car, Grand Marquis, Ford Crown Victoria and all 1996 and up models) F7AZ-7G136-A

TCC (Torque Converter Solenoid) - 2 different ones!
                                1 to 3 ohms - F2VY-7G136-A (1992-1995) Note:This part # F2VY-7G136-A is still the current number.
                                10 to 16 ohms - F7AP-7G136-AA (1996-up valve body only)
                                (If your vehicle is pre 1996 then use the F2VY-7G136-A TCC solenoid.) If you are unsure check the TCC with an OHM meter. The 1-3 ohms solenoid should be about 1.3 ohms and the 10-16 ohm solenoid should be about 10.9 ohms. The 1-3 ohms TCC has a Black connector and the 10-16 ohms TCC has a WHITE connector.

Comment

Working...
                                X