engine mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine mods?

i want to get a bigger throttle body for my 2003 marquis, 70mm or 75. im just not sure which will fit and i also woulld like to get a shift kit if they have them

I wouldn't bother with the 75mm unless you're going to buy an aftermarket upper intake plenum as well. It'll hinder the airflow into the plenum. You'd be safe to start with a 70mm, though.
    And:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...THIS-lt-PLEASE!!!!!!

Also:

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

are there shift kits for this vehicle?

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-P...1&s=automotive is that the plenum youre talking about?

Comment

Yeah, that's the plenum. Like stated above, 75mm TB is a tad big with no mods, you'll lose the low end.

Sent from the crapper
          1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

ok whats the best way to go about my car. plenum, throttle body, air intake, intake manifold, exhaust, headers? or air intake, exhaust, throttle body, headers, tune? and is a carburetor a good option for this vehicle?

Comment

The pricey parts are going to be the headers/exhaust and intake manifold if you choose. The PI intake on your car is more than adequate for accepting mods. But if you want to take it a step further, you can install an aftermarket manifold (Trickflow, Professional Products). They are expensive, though. You're looking in the $500+ range for maybe 20hp.
              I would do air intake, then the throttle body and upper plenum at the same time, if you can. You can always use the CVPI zip tube and 80mm MAF, and then get a tune.
              I would also recommend Steeda under drive pullies.
              Rear gears would really wake it up.

It also depends on what your goal is for the car.

-ryan s.
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Originally posted by 2003 marquis View Post
                and is a carburetor a good option for this vehicle?
                NO! Leave it fuel injected. Why go backwards?? You can get OBX longtube headers w/ full exhaust (minus the rear pipes) for around $600 or so. Good place to start. Then rear gears depending on what you currently have (probably an open 3.08). Get at least 3.27's and a locking rear, or even 3.55's. And since you didn't mention if it's an HPP version or not you could add factory dual exhaust to help it breathe better. Also good for a few extra HP even stock.

The best "shift kit" for the 4R70W is the J-mod as far as I know. Done with factory Ford parts and a few drill bits. I did it to my 03 CV Sport and it firmed it up nicely. If you really want to go far then swap in some Trickflow heads and different cams, higher stall torque converter and then a tune. And of course you could always go turbo as long as you keep it around 7psi of boost.

How deep are your pockets and what is your end goal for this? A nice DD or an all out track car?
                These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

im willing to put in 2grand and i want it to be a built daily driver, something to have fun with as i get around

Comment

IIRC the Lincoln aviator has a 70mm that will bolt up.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

K&N intake. 75mm throttle body. professional products upper intake manifold. steeda underdrive pullies. dual exhaust. 3.73 or 4.10 rear gears with trak-lok. J-mod. tune.

If you have anymoey left over, headers and/or higher stall torque covnter.

Through ADTR.et, intake, throttle body, gears, under drive pullies cost $953.

-ryan s.
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

whats the model # for the k&n intake and will it be a direct fit? and what exactly is the j-mod?

Comment

engine mods?

You may have to run that K&N dry.. The oil likes to mess with the mass air flow sensor

Comment

only if you over-oil it. my 93 is happy. only have to clean the maf once every couple of years or so. quick wash with contact or MAF cleaner and go another couple of years.

j-mod: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...ybusiness.html

it firms up the shifts and makes them faster which produces less heat as there's less time for contact friction to occur. Works on 4R7xW and AODE from what I understand. There's a few things not done in the AODE IIRC.
                            Last edited by sly; 04-17-2014, 09:47 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

K&N http://www.adtr.net/store/index.php?...product_id=155
                              Just select what year you have in the drop down menu.

-ryan s.
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Working...
                              X