No announcement yet.

Glasspack or muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try Dynomax Race Bullets. They're only $67 a pair. All the Mark VIII, Conti, and Cobra guys have been buying them and set may be in-store in my future...

Comment

Yea, I've got a few clips of bullets on 302 stangs and they sound awesome. I want to put them in place of my super quiet - super tubos.
      -Matt
      1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I run glasspacks on a carb'd 302 with headers, and I think it sounds great!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I don't know about the 281, but a 302 sounds really good with glasspacks. Chevy's meh, they're ok with em.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

i'm not into that cackling kind of sound from glasspacks. sounds like some hillbillies in a pickup or something.
            2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Flowmaster mufflers, Glasspacks are so 70's.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Glasspacks are teh win
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

straight pipes are great for pissin off people, but mine rattle, 2 1/2 inch tailpipes down to 2 1/2 splits to dual 2" tips on each side theyve got a weird cut to the insides, like whoever welded up the tips didnt cut them quite right, causes the split to have a football shape on each side, making a loud rattling sound under hard throttle, otherwise it sounds kick ass
                    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

I am trying to get as much sound as I can without cutting the cats. I bought a stainless magnaflow catback for my 06 Marquis. My question is should I get glasspacks ot different mufflers? This is my everyday car so I don't want it dumb loud but I do want it kinda loud lol. I'm coming from an 06 mustang gt with slp catback and loved most of the sound just not the drone. Any help is appreciated

Comment

If you go to youtube and search for panthers with different muffler set ups you can get an idea of how they sound and decide what you want. I have heard a lot that glass packs sound like ass on a 4.6 but I have never heard one in person to speculate. I have glass packs on my truck but a 460 sounds good with them I don't know about a 4.6.

I had to change the gaskets at the Y pipe right behind the cats on mine and before I put it all together I bolted the exhaust out of the way and drove it around a bit with it open right after the cats. Surprisingly it was not that overbearing, it was loud but it wasn't nearly as loud as I would have thought. I once had the exhaust broke on my truck with the 460 and it doesn't have cats, it was a joke to even attempt to listen to the radio and talking to someone two feet away from you would cause you to lose your voice from all the yelling.

Any way the 4.6 has a crackle after it is revved up and starts to return which I think may be a characteristic of a small V8 because my 460 doesn't do it. I prefer stock quiet sound my self but if I were to go loud I would want something that would tone down the crackle but that is just me. Hope this info, opinion, and insight help.

Comment

Holy Thread Retread, Batman!

Comment

Sorry, I figured it was cool seems how this forum isn't really big. I won't dig up anymore also thanks Merc3517

Comment

thrush welded mufflers. Sound awesome especially with no cats. Very Aggressive

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                              -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                              1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Thrush welded just sound like flowmaster 40 series but there cheaper and rust out really easily .. Mine came factory with an exhaust leak on one of them too.

Glasspacks sound awful on a 4.6 in person .. Sounds like it has no power at all, not even a tiny bit. Magnaflows sound wicked and flowmaster 40 series sound great too .. if you cut 2 of your cats off (back 2, leave front) and your reasonators and run just 2 cats and 2 flowmaster 40 series on your h-pipe with a set of tips it will sound great.
                                79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Working...
                                X