Police aluminum drive shaft swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
    Reuse if you want but new gaskets are cheap. They all take the same gasket.
    Where should I order new ones from?
    2002 Crown Victoria LX - 124K miles

Comment

Rockauto.com.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I wonder if I could swap in one with my T-5?
        1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
        2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
        sigpic

Comment

A T-5 would use the same yoke (small) and is the same length as an AOD. The 98 and newer P71 driveshaft is the same length as the 91 aluminum driveshaft. IF you use the small yoke with an adapter U-joint it would work.

Comment

My white car has an aluminum shaft in it, and all Scott did was use combination U joints.

The car has a vibration at low rpm, and allegedly a high speed vibration, which I have yet to experience (haven't been over 50).

Scott thinks its the Lokar junk. I may pull the shaft and have it checked, though.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
              Scott thinks its the Lokar junk. I may pull the shaft and have it checked, though.
              What Lokar "junk"?

Comment

That'd be the Lokar TV cable. I suppose its just a hunch of his; I know that he isn't fond of the Lokar cables, and neither is his transmission builder (who built the transmission).

The transmission seems to shift fine; shift feel, and shift point are not too low, or too high.

I haven't driven the car a ton, though. In the spring I am going to revise the entire carb/ throttle cable, TV cable interface. New return springs (that free up room), corrector bracket, and adjust both cables so that they are 'right.'

I recently bought the gauge/ coupling kit to measure TV pressure the proper way, so I'll see for sure what kind of pressure behavior I am seeing with the Lokar 'junk.'
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I saw an early '92 Crown Vic LX with an aluminum driveshaft today. It had an AOD with a 4.6. The strange thing was that it had a yoke with the dampener ring on it. I have never seen this with an aluminum driveshaft.

Comment

On a Ford? Can't say I've seen it.

I have the shaft out of an '00 S10 in the shop. Its aluminum, and has a large ring on it. I believe alot of GM products with aluminum shafts have it.

Comment

Anyone have steel driveshaft dimensions for a 92 AOD car? I won't be back to the bone yard until later in the week. I am wondering if the driveshaft is extra long since an AOD is a shorter transmission than a 4R70W. The transmission rubber mount is offset in the 92.

Comment

New member here, found this thread while searching for a solution to a problem I'm currently having... Would these 98 and up P-71 aluminum driveshafts fix the fitment issue I'm having in a 95 marquis with a 95 town car transmission? The town car transmission has a longer tail housing than the marquis transmission did.

Also if anyone can verify the length of these shafts (measuring from the u-joint holes, center-to-center obviously) and the diameter of the yoke it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even the overall length of the driveshaft assembly as well?!?

Thanks guys!
                        77 Mustang II T-Top w/ a built 289
                        94 Town Car Signature Series with 85k miles
                        94 Honda Nighthawk 750 w/ a few goodies
                        *Coming Soon* 06 Mustang GT (getting it back from ex-wife... awesome!)

Comment

The yoke should be a small diameter for your TC transmission. The first question is what the length of your factory driveshaft is. A 98+ P71 driveshaft is near 55 1/2".

Comment

O.K. so this guy from CVN has gotten me all kind of confused, as has the rest of the thread.

First:

Does the Police Interceptor output shaft have to be installed? They all seem to interpret it as a third required part in that thread. And if I read right, you would have to take apart the whole transmission to put it in as well, which would obviously be a bitch to do. And yet I'm seeing in this thread from dRock himself that you can use the stock short output shaft with the extended Police Interceptor housing. Also saw that here. Which side is true?

Second:

How do you swap the slip spline yoke and on which part does it go? Apparently that part really does need to be swapped because the Police Interceptor output shaft is made to be pre-lubricated and the civvie configuration lubricates it with ATF, which leaks through the Police Interceptor slip spline yoke on a civvie vehicle using the stock output shaft because there is a ventilation hole built into the Police Interceptor one.

And about using Loctite when you install the extension housing bolts:

Which type is best used for this?

For large to small projects, for complex or simple fixes &#8211; find the right product for your purpose.
                            Last edited by j5689; 02-07-2011, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by j5689 View Post
                              O.K. so this guy from CVN has gotten me all kind of confused, as has the rest of the thread.

And about using Loctite when you install the extension housing bolts:
                              Blue Loctite (#242) is fine. That is the only thread which states an output shaft change to be absolutely necessary although it makes sense for high speed use. The slip yoke is attached to the driveshaft by the U-joints. Press the joint off, change the yoke and press a new joint in.
                              Oil is thinner than grease. Oil would eventually displace the grease and the oil would get in there anyway. The premise of that thread does not make sense. I have not seen P71 slip yokes packed with grease, just wet from oil. I will look in my Ford shop manuals for any mention of this grease method..

Comment

What brand of U-joint should I get and should it be greasable or non-greasable?

Also, is it common to do the slip yoke swap? I've been researching this stuff for a while and nobody seems to mention swapping the stock one with the one already on the aluminum driveshaft, even though it makes complete sense because the stock one always seems to be in better condition. Is the fit still good too since it's smaller(as is the driveshaft itself)? I would think the extended housing might serve to help offset the difference maybe.

And should I use the same Loctite stuff on the extended housing gasket or is there better stuff for that job?
                                Last edited by j5689; 02-09-2011, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X