Load assist coilovers to stiffen ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Load assist coilovers to stiffen ride

I'm thinking of going for these to stiffen up the ride. I have the original sponges in there now.
    My next choice is the KYB monotube, but I heard they aren't really that stiff.

98 GMQ LS
    98 Gold GMQ, Leather, Digital Dash, EATC, TC/ABS, Homelink, Premium Sound sans CD.
    New Dorman Intake, New Rad hoses, New Brake lines and calipers.

Not HPP, Original Owner didn't want the air suspension and didn't like the ride .

It really is a matter of preference on how far you want to get away from the original nice ride feel.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Monroe sensatrac is about as stock feel as your going to get For stiffer ride if just go with a police shock them coil overs are a little overkill for just a daily driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chitownvic View Post
        Monroe sensatrac is about as stock feel as your going to get For stiffer ride if just go with a police shock them coil overs are a little overkill for just a daily driver

Thanks for the replies guys. The police springs seem like a very high springrate. Is it ok to use the police shock for those springs with the softie springs? It may be a good combo. Anyone try it?

I do like the plush ride but sometimes it truly feels like a boat, almost a bit dangerous if you make a high speed turn.
        98 Gold GMQ, Leather, Digital Dash, EATC, TC/ABS, Homelink, Premium Sound sans CD.

Not HPP, Original Owner didn't want the air suspension and didn't like the ride .

Comment

You want the police sway bars if you're looking for it to turn. The springs help, but the stock coathanger bars are where the boat feel comes from. Better shocks won't hurt but don't expect miracles.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have the coil over shocks and police sway bars on my 75 Ltd and 90 CV police. I just ordered another set for one of my 89 TC. Rock auto has a decent deal, however I just bought some on the Amazon marketplace yesterday for $72. Last pair at that price. My TC's factory air shocks finally crapped out, and so did the compressor. The TC has police car springs and police sway bars. (added many years ago). HD police shocks are good, but I like it nice a stiff. I also carry three sand bags in the back for winter driving (back up winter car)

Comment

Agree with gadget.. I have cop springs (variable rate in the back) and Motorcraft cop shocks on my TC it rides stiff yet still has a little float down the highway

Comment

Agree with gadget.. I have cop springs (variable rate in the back) and Motorcraft cop shocks on my TC it rides stiff yet still has a little float down the highway

Thinking of going with Bilstein shocks, I read great things about them. They are expensive, but this car was purchased instead of new lease that I was very close to signing, 600$/mo . They will be about $120 more than motorcraft.

Comment

I know I don't want Gabriel. I had them on the box and had them swap them. Felt like I was driving a mattress :lol:

Comment

not sure how it would act with a 98, but on my last towncar i had kyb out back with gabriel ultras up front, both polive valving. also had energy suspension swaybar end inks up front and limo springs in the back, thing handled beutiful and was fairly stiff suspension wise.
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Sendacraps is as stock feel as you will get with worn out Motorcrafts.

Comment

Working...
                      X