front control arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front control arms?

i have a 2003 grand marquis, im aiming for performance and reliabiliy. im not too sure if anyone can help me out with thoughts, ideas, or links. thanks

I don't think the 2003 is quite the same as the 2000 that I have, but your options seem to be: 1. buy complete arms (with joints and bushings already installed) and avoid lots of hassle (the way Ford intended); 2. replace just the joints and the 'guts' of the bushings (using poly bushings that require you to burn out the rubber bushings and use the old outer shells without taking them off the arms); and 3. replace just the joints and the entire bushings (with regular bushings), but the old bushings were not meant to be taken out so this ends up being A HUGE PITA.

Whichever option you choose, you should get greaseable ball joints. In theory, they will last longer if regularly greased.

I can't help you out with brands etc. I just get the cheapest I can find and hope for the best.

Keep in mind that the control arms bolts are supposed to be tightened when the car is at normal ride height. An alignment rack would be ideal. I resorted to putting a ramp under each wheel. Some people measure the normal distance from the center of the wheel to the wheel well lip and jack up whatever needs to be jacked up so that the wheels are in that position while the car is still on jack stands.

If your car is like mine with the rearward bolts on the upper control arms facing the wrong way so that you have to take the fender liners off to loosen the nuts, reinstall those bolts the other way around so you can tighten them up after everything is back together.

I put a bunch of links in the following thread if you want more insight into the process and related issues:

I’m not sure if this was the kind of thing you were looking for, but ...

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

The 03+ has the cast aluminum LCAs. One bushing bolts on, the other presses on.

[note - they're not rare]

I don't think there's any poly bushings avail, unless the insane guys at mercurymarauder finally got someone to make them.

I did everything except the lca bushings and kinda regret not doing them. Regardless use the best quality parts you can find Moog Problem Solvers, Raybestos Professional, etc.

Good luck on whatever you're doing

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I had a look at a 2004 today at a U-pull yard. It looks like a different animal as far as front control arms go. I'm inclined to think mine is easier to work on now that the rearward bolts on my front upper control arms are pointing forward.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
        X