Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

03 Town car ATF leak?

Looking to buy an 03 town Car.

Seller sent me a picture of how it looks underneath. Does this look like a leak from dipstick or overflow from
    The vent maybe? Or maybe bushing/seal on tail shaft leaking?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4569.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1303640
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Hard to tell.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Looks like seepage out the VSS on the tailshaft housing. Mine would scare you. They're both coated completely in everything.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Doesn't look like enough to be scary, whatever it is. VSS or OSS is a pretty good guess.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

since its an 03 car, the VSS is not used. there is a plastic plug thats bolted in place to cover the hole. The oring on the cover has gotten brittle from heat and is no longer sealing. its fairly easy to fix the leak. use a 7/16 socket/wrench, remove the retaining bolt and remove the cover, remove old o-ring, install a new oring. clean the area with brake cleaner (optional) lubricate new oring with ATF, transmission assembly lube or vaseline and install cover, install and tighten retaining bolt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1280867
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
          X