New front shocks went already.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New front shocks went already.

Unfortunately my front shock absorbers couldn't handle the potholes. I bought them last July and the front passenger side decided to leak and bounce like crazy. Going over dips are extremely scary since that side goes down more and bounces.

Fortunately, motorcraft has a 1 yr warranty and it's still covered.

I had the base shocks in the front and the heavy duty in the rears. Should I get heavy duties in the front as well? I have the regular base springs in the front and back though. Would it be ok to get the heavy duty or should I just go with the base again?

Would sport shocks be less stiff as the heavy duties? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of shocks did you buy? What brand? The motorcraft ones on rockauto?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
      What kind of shocks did you buy? What brand? The motorcraft ones on rockauto?
      Motor craft standard duty on Partsgeek

Comment

The police/taxi-spec models wouldn't hurt, just more of an HD build/firmer valving. KYB gr-2s are a good shock that many people here use. The Gas-a-justs are the next step up performance wise

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I'm running KYB GR-2 / Excel-G (KYB 344081) front shocks on both of my '91s, and I like them. For me the feel of the front end with those shocks feels perfect, but YMMV.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I've got KYB Gas-A-Just Police spec shocks under both of my cars. It firmed up the ride some, but didn't make anything harsh. Those really helped with how competent the car felt going down the road, especially on rough roads or ones with rolling dips.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
              I've got KYB Gas-A-Just Police spec shocks under both of my cars. It firmed up the ride some, but didn't make anything harsh. Those really helped with how competent the car felt going down the road, especially on rough roads or ones with rolling dips.
              Faster the better!

I remember when my brother still had g'ma's '93 we would fly over speed bumps at speed. IIRC you could hardly feel them at 70 lol.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Since only one is leaking, they'll probably only credit you that one. I'd get the free replacement and try again - Motorcraft has a history of offering good parts so maybe you got a dud.

I have had both police GR2's and Motorcraft Super HD in the front of my cars. GR2's were a bit better on the ride side and fair all around - I'd recommend them as stock replacement. The Motorcraft AX330G are stiff, handling is a good but ride quality suffered a bit. Nothing terrible but not butter smooth. I'd recommend them too, but only if you don't mind a bit harsher ride.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  Faster the better!

I remember when my brother still had g'ma's '93 we would fly over speed bumps at speed. IIRC you could hardly feel them at 70 lol.
                  On the original rear springs and blown shocks in the '87, if you drove over bridge expansion joints fast enough, the whole car would start oscillating up and down giving a real sensation of being in a boat cutting over waves.

It doesn't do that anymore. Now it just stays level and smooth as it levels out bumps.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I see that all the time in Detroit, get a chuckle out of the ones that actually dribble a tire going down the expressway. "Oh, so that's how tires get cupped.."
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Would it be an awkward ride to have the heavy duty AS-1064 shocks with base soft springs?

I have the set up in my dears and I'm not sure if it's much of a difference besides the bounce being eliminated while the front shocks bounce (weird uneven bounce)

So I'm gonna put the heavy duties in the front as well...

Comment

I run the police spec shocks up front on my rides and it really does make things firm up, but doesn't take too much away from the softness of the springs. Just keeps them from compressing as far.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          I run the police spec shocks up front on my rides and it really does make things firm up, but doesn't take too much away from the softness of the springs. Just keeps them from compressing as far.
                          Is the heavy duty shocks the police shocks? Sorry

Comment

I don't know. I would need a part number to compare the specs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              I don't know. I would need a part number to compare the specs.
                              AS-1064 for the front (the ones I just purchased)

ASHV9 are the ones already on the rear

Comment

Working...
                              X