Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF is this autolamp delay switch behind my headlamp switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would hate auto dim haha. sounds like a dog that saw itself in a mirror and got scared.

i do, however, love the autolamp. i've got an auto dimming rearview mirror to install as well, as soon as i remember what i did with the wiring diagram.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Maybe I should just find an 81 Caddy in the boneyard and steal the autodim from that then. Does the dashpad have to come out to install autodim? I just figured the panel that the headlight switch is on had to come out, that's nothing.
      1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

General Motors more or less patented the technology for "auto dimming highbeams". They made many of the parts for Lincoln's autodimmer system, and the photo eye is essentially the same part between Cadillacs and Lincolns of the '70s. I think there was some overlap in the '60s applications, too. One of the early marketing terms was "autronic eye". If the system is in perfect order, it is actually not as bad with road signs and such.

The autodimmer on my '83 Mark VI is pretty sweet after I spent a couple years messing with the adjustments behind the grille. It's good enough that I leave it on the dial setting at the switch and never need to play with it to compensate for any embarassing mishaps, but the system is fussy and probably not worth dealing with for most people.

The autolamp system was a separate feature that turned the headlights on at dusk/off at dawn and off after exiting the car, and the dial would adjust how long before they cut off when turning off the car. A lot of newer cars have this option now and it is taken for granted, but on a '70s or '80s car, it still trips people out when you show them. I think it's especially cool on the covered headlight equipped cars, as you can leave the car and watch the lids close all by themselves.

You would need your car to be equipped with an appropriate headlight switch and wiring harness to hook up the autodim eye or autolamp setup. These are not plug-n-play components.
        Last edited by onedollarbob; 06-06-2012, 01:46 AM.

Comment

You will also most likely need the multifunction switch from the autodim vehicle.

Comment

I got comments all the time: "You left your headlights on." "Nah, they're automatic, thanks" "Didn't know they put them on cars that old!" "As an option since about 1979, at least."
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
              "As an option since about 1979, at least."
              Yep, my 79 Town Coupe had them. Actually it dates back to 1960 Buicks under the name "Twilight Sentinel". Useless knowledge, I know
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I had a cadillac eldorado that said twilight sentinel on the panel for the lights, but all it had was auto on/off no auto dim. My grandfathers 78 diamond jubilee town car has autodim and the system still works perfect , but thats probably got something to do with the car only having 18,000 miles on it.
                Last edited by mercurygm88; 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM.
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                  My grandfathers 78 diamond jubilee town car has autodim and the system still works perfect , but thats probably got something to do with the car only having 18,000 miles on it.

You mean Mark V right? Which color, the blue or the gold? Please post pics in another thread if you ever get the chance. Love those cars!

/threadjack
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

Yeah the mark V its the blue one, has the factory cb option and the garage door opener too. I dont see him very often but Ill try and remember it next time I do. I dont know why I said town car I meant continental mark V
                    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Cool, thanks!
                      Past Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by onedollarbob View Post

The autodimmer on my '83 Mark VI is pretty sweet after I spent a couple years messing with the adjustments behind the grille. .
                        The sensor is behind the grille on the Mark VI ? Its hanging off the mirror on the 80s Towncars, same thing with my Mark VII.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          The sensor is behind the grille on the Mark VI ? Its hanging off the mirror on the 80s Towncars, same thing with my Mark VII.
                          yup... mine has it (non-functional just like the autolamp). It's a large (think 40W light bulb) thing mounted on the high center area of the grill.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                          X