Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Negative wire on battery keeps loosing connection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negative wire on battery keeps loosing connection.

I have tried every technique I know of to clean and protect the wire & terminal connection but it keeps loosing the connection after a few months. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried soldering the wire to the terminal?
    A bad day in paradise beats the best day at work!

You could. Gonna need a MAPP or Propane torch. I think I would just replace the whole cable with crimped terminals.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Comment

I've tinned the wires just to keep corrosion down and clamped them in the repair terminals really friggen tight. I've even gone as far as to put washers on the nut side to keep from pulling the nuts through the lead based terminal metal just to get that much tighter on the wires.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have a set of tin caps I put on the battery terminals. I bought them at Advance for less than $10. They slide over the top of the terminals, and then you install the leads over it.
        Done.
        I did this on the Tank and haven't had any issues in over a year.

(p.s.- the battery in the Tank is going to be 10 years old in a few months. If you can imagine how many times I've disconnected and reconnected that battery......)

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I had a friend who moved his battery to the trunk and replaced the wires with amplifier cable.
          The Fist of Pain
          2007 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Working...
          X